American River College defense returns to form in commanding win over Fresno City College

Jessica Maynard, Social Media Director
November 4, 2013  

The No. 1 ranked defense in the state is determined to not allow 27 points on the scoreboard again. The American River College defense held Fresno City College to 0 points, a first down and 31 yards during the first half of Saturday’s game to help the Northern California No. 2-ranked Beavers... Read More

131009_FootballCP_BF_Web

Redemption

Jessica Maynard, Social Media Director
October 16, 2013  

Possibilities grow for undefeated Beavers after routing No. 1 team in state It’s something every athlete hopes for: a chance to prove that he or she is the best on the biggest stage. The past two seasons have accounted for tremendous change in the American River College football program.... Read More

WillReyesWeb

Will Reyes continues strong run

Jessica Maynard, Social Media Director
October 14, 2013  

The California Community College Athletic Association has been awarding standout athletes with the Student Athlete of the Month Award since 2006. Of the 103 sports programs American River has only produced one award winner, sprinter Christina Hibbert in May of 2006. Sophomore cross-country... Read More

Extra classes at a steep price

Jessica Maynard, Social Media Director
October 14, 2013  

Governor Brown signed into law Thursday a bill that will allow select community colleges to charge non-resident fees for additional high-demand classes to be offered during winter and summer intersessions. Assembly Bill 955 creates a pilot program that will be offered to six California community... Read More

1392896_10200702335588179_813242134_n

Victory is sweetest when you’ve known defeat

Jessica Maynard, Social Media Director
October 6, 2013  

The No. 3-ranked football team American River College capitalized on five first-half turnovers to top the No. 1-ranked team in the state City College of San Francisco 34-13, Saturday at Rams Stadium in San Francisco. The Beavers defense finished the game with seven turnovers which proved instrumental... Read More

Battle of the unbeaten: No. 6 ranked Beavers blow out Santa Rosa Junior College on the road

Jessica Maynard, Public Relations and Social Media Director
September 29, 2013  

A total of 48 unanswered points by the No. 6 nationally-ranked team AmericanRiverCollege and a 55-21 on-the-road victory over the No. 23 nationally-ranked team Santa Rosa Junior College Friday Sept. 27 will give any fan a reason to ignore the Beavers slow offensive start. The Beavers trailed... Read More

Going for the kill: ARC volleyball looks to bounce back from a first round exit at the state championships

Jessica Maynard, Social Media Director
September 25, 2013  

As the team looks up in the rankings, the American River College volleyball team can’t help but like the position it’s currently in. As of Sept. 17 the women are ranked No. 10 in the state with a 7-3 overall record. The team jumped up three spots after beating the No. 6 ranked team in... Read More

smokingbaby

Keep your risk factors to yourself, please

Jessica Maynard, Social Media Director
September 24, 2013  

Pregnancy can be a daunting time for any woman, especially when she’s trying to finish her college degree.  The concerns that already run through a pregnant woman’s mind are amplified when she comes in contact with secondhand smoke. Studies from multiple journals state the negative effects... Read More

Damion Sanders

ARC’s defense shines versus Chabot College as the Beavers’ offense gets lost in the rain

Jessica Maynard, Public Relations Editor and Social Media Director
September 22, 2013  

The American River College 33-13 win over the Chabot College Gladiators Saturday was a defensive juggernaut featuring a combined total of 7 turnovers and a safety. Despite the offensive woes sustained by the Beavers, the No. 8 ranked football team in the nation is now 3-0. Arguably, the unsung... Read More

8199778517_8c98dde9aa_o

Cross country team primes for state championship three-peat

Jessica Maynard, Public Relations Editor & Social Media Director
September 17, 2013  

Some sports teams never make it to a championship, much less win it. For the American River College men’s cross country team, winning the big races has come naturally to them. In a sport that has been heavily dominated by teams from Southern California, ARC looks to continue the shifting... Read More

IMG_5232a

A spot of their own

Jessica Maynard, Social Media Director
September 17, 2013  

This story was written by Ed Gebing and Jessica Maynard. Due to the limitations of our platform, it is published multiple times under a joint, and two individual bylines. You’re running late for your 9 a.m. class when you find what you believe to be an empty parking spot, but, when... Read More

Continuing their winning ways

September 8, 2013  

The No. 9 ranked Junior College in the nation, American River College, opened their 2013 campaign on the road at Monterey Peninsula College Saturday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m. The Beavers were looking to bounce back from a disappointing loss to end the 2012 season versus San Francisco State Community... Read More

Sports updates 5-07-2013

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
May 8, 2013  

Men’s Sports Baseball: In the final game of the season, the team lost at home 8-3 to division rival Diablo Valley College. The team finished with an overall record of 11-25 and 6-18 in conference. Golf: Freshman Colten Passey will be competing for the individual state championships at the... Read More

(Front to back): Shawn Simms, Will Reyes, Derek Woodard, Matt Lozancich, Walter Finney, Kenny Andri pose for a photo on April 30 on the American River College Campus.

Track stars possess the qualities to win

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
May 8, 2013  

The American River College men’s track and field team is gearing up for the California State Championships, led by a group of quality athletes.  When it comes to building a championship contender, talent doesn’t win titles, chemistry does. Fortunately for the ARC men’s track and field... Read More

JasonFletcher_JS

Jason Fletcher

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
April 24, 2013  

With bases loaded and two outs, the opposing team’s cleanup hitter steps up to the plate. He stands on the mound with a distinct tattoo, peeking out from under the left sleeve of his jersey, lips pursed as he shakes off a signal from his catcher; he negates a few more before he and the catcher... Read More

ARC’s Tennis player Kevin Valentine in a match during the Big 8 North Conference Tournament hosted at ARC on April 5 and 6.

Sports Briefs 4-23-2013

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
April 24, 2013  

Men’s Baseball – With two games left in the regular season, the men look to shake up the NorCal championship bracket. The men play at Cosumnes River College on April 25 at 2:30 p.m. and finish the regular season at home versus Diablo Valley College on April 26 at 2:30 p.m. Golf – The... Read More

IMG_6196_TS

Broken police call box raises concerns about personal security amongst students

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
April 3, 2013  

An increase in college crime has brought awareness to students who no longer feel safe and secure on campus. There has been a recent hike in campus crime across the United States, including at American River College. Last Nov., a woman was being taken from campus at knifepoint and was sexually... Read More

Sports Updates 4-03-2013

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
April 3, 2013  

Men’s Baseball – The team improved to 3-9 in conference and 8-16 overall after beating division rival Cosumnes River College twice during a three game series Sophomore pitcher Jason Fletcher took the mound for the fourth time this season. On April 6, the Beavers will host division rival... Read More

IMG_0834_web_Carousel2

Amor serves up an ace

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
March 13, 2013  

After receiving many accolades last season, Andrew Amor knows he still has room to improve in order to get to where he wants to be. Any team that has achieved greatness has a player who motivates his teammates, a player who can spark fight in his teammates when they are down, a player who fights... Read More

Sports briefs 3-13-2013

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
March 13, 2013  

Men’s Sports Baseball: After sustaining multiple injuries to many key players, the baseball team is finally getting healthy. Led by sophomores Andrew Lojewski, who leads the Big 8 division in RBIs with 19 and is third in batting average with .433, Nick Derminjian, third in ERA with 1.35,... Read More

IMG_2648_Web

Love and basketball

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
February 27, 2013  

The relationship between ARC basketball player Chris Carvin and his mother, who’s been there through his success and triumphs. Being a single mother can be challenging, especially when it comes to finding time to spend with your children. Often, mothers will be grateful to share a few moments... Read More

Simba Barratti stretches out to return a serve in his singles match versus Modesto Junior College player Xavier Lopez Feb. 12. Barratti went on to win the match (6-0, 6-0)

Modesto hits Beavers’ dam

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
February 13, 2013  

After showcasing a dominate performance in their first match of the season by beating Reedely College (7-2) the Northern California State ranked No. 3 American River College men’s tennis team took to the court to face Big 8 South rival Modesto Junior College on Feb. 12. The men’s team won... Read More

Cheap date ideas for your special someone

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
February 13, 2013  

Dinner and a movie are typically the norm for dates. With these unique date ideas, you’ll be sure to have an unforgettable night. Horse Drawn Carriage Ride – This date will give you a new perspective on the city. Grab a thermos and a blanket and cuddle up in the back of a horse drawn carriage... Read More

FastAndFurious

Fast and furious

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
February 13, 2013  

Former ARC student finds success in a “no holds bar” racing scene. It takes a great deal of experience and skill to hone a craft. As for West Coast Outlaw Pro Mod racer Scott Bailey, 56, that statement holds true. Pro Mod racing is a “no holds bar” form of quarter mile drag racing,... Read More

Men’s cross-country looks to rebuild after back-to-back championships

Jessica Maynard, Sports editor
December 5, 2012  

After becoming the first northern California school to win back-to-back state cross-country championships during a 49-year history, the American River College men’s team will be rebuilding. But after losing two standout runners in Matt Airola and Will Melton, is a three-peat possible? “Anything... Read More

Maynard

Loss of a parent

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
December 5, 2012  

The Current’s sports editor details her healing journey after family tragedy I lost my mother when I was 23 years old. She passed away at the young age of 53. Nearly two years later, I still fight back the tears when people ask me, “What happened?” On Jan. 9, 2011, my mom left her house... Read More

_8024

Need For Speed

Jessica Maynard, Sports editor
December 5, 2012  

With his recent first place finish at the California Community College Cross-Country Championships, Matt Airola has become quite possibly the most “metal” person on campus. “It’s something we say on the team,“ said Airola. “Instead of cool, it’s metal.” Airola, a native of Angels... Read More

Third time’s a charm for men’s cross-country team

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
November 26, 2012  

Beavers capture third state championship with back-to-back season victories It was déjà vu all over again for Head Coach Rick Anderson and the American River College men’s cross-country team – the men won the state title at the California Community College Cross-Country Championships... Read More

Sports Briefs – Nov 23 2012

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
November 26, 2012  

Men’s Basketball – The men played in the Shasta tournament on Nov. 16-18. The team went 1-2 in the tournament, beating Merrit College but lost to Diablo Valley College and Ohlone College. The team’s next home game isn’t until Jan. 11 when they play Sacramento City College. Cross-Country... Read More

_9328

ARC players don’t get a kick out of soccer fields

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
November 25, 2012  

Poor turf quality has faculty and teams pushing for changes American River College has a modern stadium, gyms and playing fields. The football field has high quality turf, the baseball and softball diamonds are maintained regularly and the tennis courts and basketball gyms have been recently... Read More

GoneGirl

In Our Heads- Sports Editor Jessica Maynard

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
October 24, 2012  

“Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn – This classic thriller has perfectly written characters and proves knowledge is the ultimate power in any relationship. The book will play with your mind; one minute you think you have the book figured out and in the next chapter everything changes. “Dead... Read More

ARC women’s volleyball ‘Digs Pink’ for breast cancer awareness

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
October 16, 2012  

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month and the American River College volleyball team took the opportunity to join the fight against breast cancer by joining the Side-Out foundation. The Side-Out foundation was established in 2004 by volleyball coach Rich Duentz after his Mother... Read More

_8912

Volleyball duo cause spike in team’s success

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
October 10, 2012  

“They’re too young” or “they’re too inexperienced” are statements often associated with teams that have a lack of veteran leadership. Being young is seen as a weakness in the sports world, but for the American River College volleyball team, it may be their strength. Behind the play... Read More

Sports Briefs

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
October 10, 2012  

Men’s Sports Cross Country – The team is ranked No. 1 in the state for the third week in a row. The team has finished in first place in three of the first four races. Sophomore Matt Airola’s 20.75 4-mile time leads the team followed by freshman Luis Luna’s time of 20.81. The team’s... Read More

Freshman goalie Conner Jensen blocks a goal against Cal Baptist University Sept. 21.

Cal Baptist University beats Beavers in men’s water polo 16-13

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
September 27, 2012  

Offensive presence key in back-and-forth match hosted by ARC The American River College men’s water polo team hosted California Baptist University on Sept. 21 for a match that the Beavers lost 16-13. The offensive presence was consistent for both teams most of the game, trading goals at each... Read More

Warzecka PhotoRGB

ARC hires new head of sports

Jessica Maynard, Sports editor
September 19, 2012  

Greg Warzecka’s 16 years as director of athletics at UC Davis highlights stellar career. The 2011-12 athletic seasons were eventful for American River College. The Beavers had 13 teams make the playoffs, with four of those teams claiming championships. The program also saw athletic director... Read More

ThomasChabotCrop

Beavers capture 21st consecutive win

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
September 16, 2012  

American River College football’s past 20 games have been filled with intense moments, dominance on both sides of the ball, and mind-blowing plays. There was plenty of action to be seen Sept.15 as ARC captured its 21st consecutive victory on the road by beating Chabot Community College... Read More

Shasta vs ARC at the Beaver Classic

ARC dominates women’s volleyball double header on Sept. 12

Jessica Maynard, Sports Editor
September 12, 2012  

It was a good night for the blue, red and white as the American River volleyball team beat Taft and Shasta Community Colleges on Sept. 12 in the Beaver Classic. In the first match of the double header the team played Taft College. Lead by freshmen Katie Christener and Nicole Hareland, the volleyball... Read More

Building bonds key for internships

Jessica Maynard, Staff Writer
May 3, 2012  

An unpaid internship with the Sacramento Monarchs provided Scott Freshour with the skills he needed to become a full-time employee as the Sacramento Kings’ emcee. Companies employ college interns to provide students with on-the-job training that pertains to his or her major. Individuals are... Read More

Sports writer Jessica Maynard tackles the best and worst moves of the NFL offseason

Jessica Maynard, Staff Writer
May 2, 2012  

In an offseason when Peyton Manning left the Colts after 13 seasons, a top 10 Wide Receiver was traded for two third round picks, and a 100 million dollar defensive presence was added in Buffalo, these are the teams that capitalized during the offseason and the teams that were left scratching... Read More

_40501

Beavers Baseball takes on Division rival Wolverines

Jessica Maynard, Staff Writer
May 2, 2012  

The American River College baseball team concluded a three game series against divisional rival Sierra College after falling 9-1 on April 21. Saturday’s game at Beaver Field brought out 85 spectators, most of whom were family and friends of the visiting Wolverines. The crowd’s cheering... Read More

Catching up with ARC’s man behind the plate

Jessica Maynard, Staff Writer
April 18, 2012  

Sophomore catcher Tyler Eppler has not only brought a defensive presence to the American River College baseball team, he has also been a focal point of leadership on a team consisting of mainly freshman. Eppler’s versatile catching style has brought confidence to a young bullpen. When asked... Read More

120401_Bates_cl

Former professor Bob Bates returns to ARC to talk about America’s national pastime

Jessica Maynard, Staff Writer
April 8, 2012  

Jackie Robinson, April 15, 1947; Satchel Paige October 9, 1948; Sandy Koufax, September 9, 1965 — arguably some of the most memorable dates in Major League Baseball history. On March 22, in American River College’s Raef Hall former English professor and baseball coach Bob Bates, who... Read More

Softball pitching coming to form

Jessica Maynard, Staff Writer
March 7, 2012  

“You throw like a girl!” This used to be one of the worst insults a player could hear, but not anymore. American River College softball pitchers Jessica Heaney, Karolanne Tipton, and Tanya Holguin are proving that guys aren’t the only ones who can bring the heat. “(Having three great... Read More

Bisla's sports bar in East Sacramento is a sure bet for sports fans.

Five top sports bars in Sacramento

Jessica Maynard, Staff Writer
February 22, 2012  

Regardless of the numerous advancements in home entertainment over the years, there’s something sacred about going to a sports bar to watch the biggest events with fellow sports fanatics. These five places are sure stops when it comes to watching your favorite teams play. 1. Bislas  stands... Read More

Softball pitcher Jessica Henney is on the mound for the Beavers on Feb. 3.

Softball team looks for hot start

Jessica Maynard, Staff Writer
February 9, 2012  

With spring around the corner, the American River College softball team prepares for a season of redemption. The team looks to build upon their strong finish from last season, and improve in all aspects of the game. The Beavers’ softball team ended with a subpar record last season, finishing... Read More

Pitching woes early concerns

Jessica Maynard, Staff Writer
February 8, 2012  

As the American River College baseball season begins, the team looks to build upon last season’s power-hitting performance and solve their pitching troubles. For the Beavers it signifies the thirteenth season coach Doug Jumelet has been in charge of the team. Despite finishing with a less-than-ideal... Read More