Continuing their winning ways

Continuing their winning ways

The No. 9 ranked Junior College in the nation, American River College, opened their 2013 campaign on the road at Monterey Peninsula College Saturday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m.

The Beavers were looking to bounce back from a disappointing loss to end the 2012 season versus San Francisco State Community College in the Northern Division Championship Game.

The Beavers opened the game kicking off to sophomore running back Don Carter who returned the ball to the 30-yard line.  After freshman quarterback Andrew Loudenback completed a third down pass to sophomore wide receiver Mitchell Collie for a first down the Lobos received multiple delay of game penalties, and found themselves trying to overcome 26 yards on third down.  The ARC defense held strong and forced the Lobos to punt.

The Beavers first offensive possession resulted in a punt from their own 25-yard line, but on the team’s second possession Sophomore Cameron Southward kicked a 35-yard field goal to put the team up 3-0 in the first quarter.

The next score for the Beavers came off of a 94-yard punt return from returning sophomore slot receiver Tyler Trosin to put ARC up 9-0 in the second quarter.  Southward successfully made the point after touchdown to increase the lead to 10, and the Beavers never looked back.

“I had a couple good blocks, they just opened it up for me and I just told them to open up a lane and I’ll find a way to make it into a touchdown,” Trosin said.

On the first play following Trosin’s touchdown, MPC’s offense found themselves opening their drive at their 32-yard line.  On the ensuing play the Lobos fumbled the ball which was recovered by sophomore defensive back Ethan Clark.

American Rivers defense finished the night with four interceptions, one fumble recovery, 8 sacks, negative 31 rushing yards and 13 tackles for losses in their first game together.

“A lot of pressure and reading their formations, there is a lot of different things that get into a quarterbacks head and our defensive line is getting a lot of pressure,” sophomore defensive lineman Ewing Simmons said.

ARC’s offense found its rhythm after Trosin’s punt return TD adding a 23-yard touchdown pass from sophomore Mike Hicks to sophomore wide receiver Dan Thomas.  Southward would kick a 23-yard field goal with 4:43 left on the clock and would add a 34-yard field goal with 20 seconds remaining in the first half.

At halftime the Beavers led the Lobos, 23-0.

MPC would start the third quarter kicking the ball off to American River’s Trosin, who would take it 89 yards, for his second special teams’ touchdown of the game and would put his team up by 30 points.  Trosin’s presence was not only felt on special teams, but on offense as well as he caught a 7-yard pass, from freshman quarterback Jake Bist, giving him three touchdowns for the game.  Hicks and Bist would finish the night with two passing touchdowns, combined, for the Beavers.

With the score 36-0, freshman kicker Charlie Vue would add his second PAT, and before the game was over Vue would add his first field goal, from 21 yards, to give American River 40 points on the night.

A holding penalty on American River inside their own 10-yard line resulted in a safety, giving MPC their only two points of the night.

The Beavers would go on to win their season opener 40-2, and hope their success continues throughout the season with aspirations of a State Championship.

“It was a tremendous win for us, it’s always fun to win,” head coach Jerry Haflich said, “and when you create that many turnovers it helps.”

Their next game will be the home opener Saturday, Sept. 14 versus Sacramento City College at 1 p.m.