MLB announces Athletics will play in West Sacramento ahead of official Las Vegas move

Sacramento sports fans respond positively to hosting MLB games in local Sutter Health Park
The Oakland As will play their baseball at Sutter Health Park from 2025-2028 (Photo Illustration by Chris Johnson)
The Oakland A’s will play their baseball at Sutter Health Park from 2025-2028 (Photo Illustration by Chris Johnson)

The Oakland Athletics announced on April 4 that they will play their home Major League Baseball games at West Sacramento’s Sutter Health Park starting in the 2025 season through the 2027 season. 

The stadium is currently home to the Sacramento River Cats of the Pacific Coast League of Minor League Baseball, who are also the Triple-A Affiliate for the MLB’s San Francisco Giants. 

No financial details have been shared, but the River Cats stated in its official press release that on top of the guaranteed three seasons the A’s will spend in Sacramento, there is an option for a potential fourth season in 2028. 

The move was supported by entrepreneur Vivek Ranadivé, who is also the owner and chairman of the Sacramento Kings.

“I’m thrilled to welcome the A’s to Sutter Health Park,” Ranadivé said, via the River Cats’ official press release. “Players and fans alike can enjoy a world-class baseball experience and create unforgettable memories.”

Fans have nothing to worry about if they would still like to watch their hometown River Cats. 

According to the background information in the official press release, “MLB will work closely with both the A’s and the River Cats to ensure schedules are constructed to meet both MLB and MiLB guidelines. The A’s and the River Cats will have dedicated facility space.”

The move has seen a positive impact for the River Cats in terms of ticket sales, with CBS reporting that they broke their single day ticket sales record following the announcement.

The CBS article also doesn’t rule out the possibility of a permanent move to Sacramento, citing a study from Emerson College that 52% of surveyed voters in the Las Vegas area are actually against the idea of public funding going towards the building of the A’s new stadium.

Although the exact starting date of the 2025 season is currently unknown, fans can expect the schedule to be released at some point before the end of the calendar year, and the season itself to begin around late March to early April of 2025.