Sacramento State football prepares for 2023 season after an offseason of moving parts

Despite losing head coach Troy Taylor and a handful of key players, expectations remain high by the people in the building
Andy Thompson is set to take over as the Hornets’ new coach and look to build off of its success from the 2022 season. (Photo courtesy of Sacramento State Athletics)

Sacramento State football is coming off a historic undefeated season in 2022, but now must attempt to continue the success with a new head coach and some roster turnover in 2023.

In 2022, the Sacramento State football squad went undefeated and earned a playoff win before falling to Incarnate Wood 66-63. The successful season put the Hornets’ football program under a large spotlight and had Sacramento sports fans buzzing.

This spotlight led to the program losing head coach Troy Taylor, who took the head coaching job in Stanford following David Shaw’s departure from the prestigious school. 

It was a relatively quick hiring process for Sac State, as they decided to promote defensive coordinator Andy Thompson to be the program’s new head coach.

“Andy Thompson has been a coordinator in the Big Sky Conference for the past 14 seasons, and he has been a significant part of our success,” Mark Orr, Sacramento State athletic director, said in an email to the Current. “He is more than ready to lead our program as head coach.”

The Hornets also lost some key players, including superstar running back Cameron Skattebo, a Sacramento-area native who left for Arizona State through the transfer portal. Athletic linebacker Marte Mapu also left the Hornets, only for the NFL, where he would be drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round of the 2023 NFL Draft.

Despite those notable losses, the Hornets will have more continuity heading into 2023 than people realize.

The experienced coaching staff, along with 78 student-athletes who have been in our program for at least three years, positions us for continued success this season,” Orr said.

The Hornets have eight of their FCS All-Conference players returning to their 2023 squad, including tight end Marshel Martin who looks to build off of a 12-touchdown campaign in 2022. 

On defense it’s linebacker Armon Bailey who returns for the Hornets and looks to lead a stifling unit. Last year it was the Hornets’ passing defense that was their downfall in the playoff loss at Incarnate Wood, and it will need to improve ahead of the season.

Sac State opened the year on the road at Nicholls State, and now have two more non-conference games, one of which being at Stanford against old friend Troy Taylor. 

The Hornets will open up conference play on the road versus an extremely tough squad in Idaho. Three of the four games after Idaho are at home, including one matchup that many have circled versus Montana State.

Despite the changes the program has seen take place over the past eight months, the expectations of those within the building stay high, as the Hornets look to give Sacramento sports fans another year to remember.

“We expect to continue to build upon the foundation of success that our program established,” Orr said. “This includes defending the Big Sky Championship that we have captured the last three seasons and advancing in the FCS postseason playoffs.”