Update: Students involved in sexual assault claim may have known each other

Caution tape was placed on the entrance to the women’s restroom in the Liberal Arts breezeway while the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department investigated the area following a sexual assault claim first reported to the Los Rios Police Department. The two students involved in the incident may have known each other prior to the situation occurring, according to ARC public information officer Scott Crow. (Photo by Joe Padilla)

Two American River College students involved in a sexual assault claim reported on campus Monday may have known each other prior to the incident, according to ARC public information officer Scott Crow.

“It’s possible that the individuals may have known each other prior,” Crow said, who received the information from the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department. “There is some information related to that.”

Crow was also informed that although the investigation is still ongoing, the Sheriff’s Department has confirmed that no additional outstanding individuals are involved in the case.

“Law enforcement is not seeking anyone involved with the situation,” Crow said.

Sheriff’s Department PIO Tony Turnbull could not be immediately reached for comment.

An email was sent out to all ARC students through Los Rios Gmail informing them of the claim and that the school believes no immediate danger is present to students or the campus at large.

The Current will update this story as more information becomes available.