Men’s Tennis fall short in State Championship game

American River College men’s tennis players Alex Meliuk (front) and Seppi Capaul (back) play a doubles match during the NorCal Semifinals against Chabot on April 12, 2016. ARC won the match 5-0 and moved on to the next round of playoffs. (Photo by Matthew Nobert)

American River College’s men’s tennis team ended their season yesterday with a loss to Irvine Valley College in the state championship, by the score of 5-1.

Seppi Capaul and Alex Meliuk got the team’s only win in a doubles match against Irvine Valley’s Sam Cohen and Javi Callejo, with a score of 8-3.

Doubles teams Cody Duong and Sean McDaniel and Justin Barton and TJ Auckland both lost their matches.

Singles matches went smoothly for Irvine Valley’s Lassers as they dropped three games total en route to their second successive state championship.

Irvine Valley finished 21-2 on the season, winning their last 16 games of the season and their only losses going to NCAA Division 1 schools.

American River closes their season with a 17-4 record, with all their losses going to southern California schools, including Division 1 school Fresno State.

All ARC players playing in the Ojai Individual Tournaments have byes to the next round, which starts Friday, April 22.