OutOfBounds

What’s the rush about rushing quarterbacks?

Steven Paxiao, Managing Editor
November 26, 2012  

Can someone please tell me what is so great about a rushing quarterback? Besides the obvious addition of another threat on the ground, it just doesn’t make sense to me. If it’s overall records you could argue for, you would be shocked to find out what they actually are.  The top three... Read More

Gold rush best 2

Twenty first century gold rush

Steven Paxiao, Managing Editor
November 26, 2012  

The Golden State has struck gold fever again. California has long been known for the rich content of its soil, but with gold selling at just over $1700 an ounce, people are once again panning for profit. “A lot of it has to do with uncertainties of currency, but also people who are selling... Read More

ARC women’s water polo captain leads team swimmingly

Steven Paxiao, Managing editor
November 7, 2012  

There are very few people that can say they were captain of a team as a freshman, but this is exactly what sparked the American River College’s women’s water polo team to a 6-1 record in the Big 8 conference and the second seed in the championship meet. This isn’t as rare as if she was... Read More

OutOfBounds

There’s nothing professional about overpaid athletes

Steven Paxiao, Managing editor
November 7, 2012  

“Show me the money.” To most people, this may be just another ancient Cuba Gooding, Jr. line. But to professional athletes, it’s a real life demand. There’s no secret that professional athletes make much more than the average person, but it is even more evident when a player signs an... Read More

OutOfBounds

Coaches need to learn how to protect high school and youth football players

Steven Paxiao, Managing editor
October 24, 2012  

Concussions have become a huge part of athletics over the past few years, and fans are left wondering why. Being a former football player, I have had my encounters with injuries over the years, but the only one I sustained multiple times were concussions. One of my injuries came as a junior... Read More

PaulDaleRoberts_Facebook

Sacramento’s Ghostbuster

Steven Paxiao, Managing editor
October 24, 2012  

With Halloween just around the corner, many people in Sacramento are becoming more interested in ghost stories and it leaves some to wonder what kind of paranormal findings might have been documented around the city. For the answer to this question one could ask Paul Dale Roberts, who is one... Read More

OutOfBounds

NFL replacement refs

Steven Paxiao, Sports Editor
October 10, 2012  

It seems like an eternity since we all had to watch a bunch of low-level college referees check off another box on their bucket list. But after just two weeks, fans are certainly happy to be back to the normal. This may come as a shocker to some, but there is no redoing of the first few weeks... Read More

DosDontsFresh

Dos and Don’ts for College Freshmen

Steven Paxiao, Managing editor
September 19, 2012  

There are many differences between high school and college, and these differences are apparent starting with your first semester in school. With these new ways of learning, there are many things that freshman need to know about what to do and what not to do to succeed while attending college. DO 1.  ... Read More

OutOfBounds

Integrity of our nation’s pastime is at risk due to cheaters

Steven Paxiao, Managing editor
September 19, 2012  

Sports is often sought to be one of the most popular entertainment venues among the world.  Lately, it seems to me that there have been a lot more negative issues than positive. This is an attempt to inform the everyday citizen of the things that are out of bounds with the million dollar athletes... Read More

Former Beaver takes leap forward

Steven Paxiao, Sports Editor
March 21, 2012  

Becoming a nationally ranked triple jumper is not an easy task to accomplish.  Traelynn Lewis has found that success, and risen to the challenge with focus and determination. Lewis is a former track and field athlete for American River College, who battled a knee injury throughout her beaver... Read More

Men’s golf in full swing

Steven Paxiao, Staff Writer
March 7, 2012  

Golf is often considered one of the most challenging games to consistently play well.  For the American River College men’s golf team, this is a season of finding that consistency, despite very little overall competitive experience. The team has struggled throughout the beginning of the... Read More

Kings Arena_BusinessInsider_Com

Kings, NBA and city all shook hands. Now what?

Steven Paxiao, Staff Writer
March 7, 2012  

The Sacramento Kings have always been the backbone of the city. Lately, it has been more than usual in the wake of the team possibly relocating to a different city. However, on March 6, city officials voted in favor of the recently proposed arena deal that would ensure that the Kings would... Read More

Guitiarrez

Butler University hires former volleyball standout as assistant coach

Steven Paxiao
February 22, 2012  

Since leaving American River College, Camille Gutierrez has had her share of coaching positions at the collegiate level. As a player for the Beavers from 1993-95 Gutierrez was an all-american volleyball player. Gutierrez also started her coaching career with ARC. After six seasons as an assistant... Read More

Head football coach Jerry Haflich and cross-country coach Rick Anderson.

Beavers are tops in the nation for athletics

Steven Paxiao, Sports Editor
February 8, 2012  

After an undefeated football season, a cross-country state championship, and eight playoff berths, the American River College fall athletic programs performed at a very high level of competitiveness. This success has landed the Beavers on top of the National Alliance of Two-Year College Athletic... Read More

JarrettBush

Jarret Bush talks about his journey from college football at ARC to playing in NFL

Steven Paxiao, Staff Writer
November 30, 2011  

With the current undefeated success of the American River football team, it brings to mind past talent that has come through the program. The path from community college football to the NFL is a difficult one, but ARC has had a small share. Former Beavers quarterback Tony Eason played eight... Read More

Rick_Anderson_web.arc.losrios.edu

Two-year colleges face unique sports difficulties

Steven Paxiao, Staff Writer
October 12, 2011  

Community college coaches at American River College spend a whole year training young athletes to be able to compete at the collegiate level, only to see them leave after the very next season. The difficulty of dealing with this task is the reason why it is challenging to field a competitive... Read More