ARC hosts wet and wild 31st annual Beaver Relays

American River College runner Jaclyn Leduc competes in the women’s 5000 meter run during the 31st annual Beaver Relays on March 4, 2016 at ARC. Leduc finished 2nd in the event. (Photo by Robert Hansen)

American River College held the 31st annual Beaver Relays on Friday March 4 after the threat of inclement weather pushed the meet up from it’s original date of Saturday March 5.

The last minute change of date meant that several schools who had planned to attend were not able to re-arrange their transportation and were forced to miss the event.

This left only eight schools able to attend: American River College, Sacramento City College, Diablo Valley College, Merritt College, Yuba College, College of the Siskiyous, Chabot College, and Redwoods College.

“We lost about three quarters of the schools,” said men’s head coach Rick Anderson. “Typically there are about 16 or 17 schools and we had only seven.”

Anderson also pointed out how track is unique compared to other sports because there are so many people involved in just getting the meet to happen.

“It’s not like a baseball game or a football game where you only have to call one team,” Anderson said. “We have to call seven or eight teams, and 40 volunteers and officials to get it rescheduled.”

Some competitions like the women’s pole vault were contested by only one participant (Alexis Babbes of ARC), and the men’s 4×200 relay, and the women’s 5000m race were contested by just one school.

Women’s head coach Jeanette Allred-Powless lamented the loss of the other schools, but was confident that the event would go ahead.

“We didn’t have as many teams as we wanted to have so that was unfortunate,” Allred-Powless said. “But we still go ahead because we’ve never cancelled this event in the school’s history. We got most of our events contested so that was good.”

Despite the reduced amount of competitors, the event went ahead as planned and most of the events were completed before the heavy rain came in.

Story continues below

ARC teams took 1st place in the men’s and women’s 4×100 relays, and also took 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th in the men’s 4000m distance medley.

Other wins in men’s individual events for ARC included Isaiah Griffin winning the 200m dash, Treshon Woods winning the 400m hurdles, Abdul Hamid winning the 1500m race, Matt Morris winning the 3000m steeplechase, Cambron Lyles in the pole vault, and Lenny Nelson taking the long and triple jump.

Griffin said afterwards that both the rain made things a little more difficult for the race.
“I did decent but the rain made it a little more difficult because the track is slick and there’s rain in your face,” Griffin said.

Anderson also said that the rain had an effect because “it still gets your spirits down.”

For the women’s individual events, Tatiana Bell took home the 100m and 200m dashes, Morgan Simpson won the 400m dash, Micayla Rennick won the 800m dash, Jenica Dodge brought home the 5000m race, Ashley Albor won the women’s 3000 m steeplechase, and Lauren Cariaso capturing the long jump.

Allred-Powless said that both the men’s and the women’s team can be serious competitors this season.

“Both our men’s and women’s teams are pretty strong this season and we’re looking to take NorCal and hopefully some more on top of that,” Allred-Powless said. “The key is to keep everybody eligible and healthy and we should be able to do some damage this year.

The next track meet for both teams is the Occidental Distance Carnival on March 11th in Los Angeles.