Executive Leadership Team presented Education Master Plan to Student Senate

Associate Vice President of Workforce Development Frank Kobayashi, American River College student Joshua Harris and District Academic Senate President Gary Aguilar (from left to right) presented ARC’s new Educational Master Plan at the Associated Student Body Senate meeting on Nov. 22, 2019. (Photo by Brandon Zamora)

Members of the American River College Executive Leadership Team (ELT) presented the college’s new Educational Master Plan at the Associated Student Body Student Senate meeting on Nov. 22. 

During the meeting, ASB also passed bills to pay for ASB-related parking, and to send students and faculty to the Keeping the Dream Alive Conference. Additionally, ASB moved to support plans to improve responses to medical emergencies on campus.

Three members of the ELT’s Educational Master Plan project team, Associate Vice President of Workforce Development Frank Kobayashi, District Academic Senate President Gary Aguilar and ARC student Joshua Harris, presented ARC’s new Educational Master Plan to the board. 

“It’s a compass that will hopefully guide us moving into the future,” Kobayashi said. 

Kobayashi, Aguilar and Harris presented ten imperatives for the plan with goals focused on preparing students for the future of technology in the workplace, closing the opportunity gap, achieving operational effectiveness, cultivating financial stability, as well bolstering advocacy, collaboration and coordination. 

Also, ASB passed F19-XX, Keeping the Dream Alive Conference bill, which grants $3,000 to send four-to-five ARC staff members and five-to-seven students to attend the conference at California State University Sacramento. 

“The conference will help reframe deficit-based approaches that emphasize the adversities and barriers imposed by undocumented status to examine more closely what it means to achieve thriving and well-being in the context of undocumented status,” according to the CSU Sacramento website. 

Senator Desiree Rodriguez said that the $3,000 would be used to pay for student and faculty admission, as well as lunch and travel expenses. The students and faculty sent will not necessarily be ASB members, but people interested in and relevant to the event.

Additionally, ASB moved to support F19-03, a plan to implement an emergency medical response team. 

“This team would be student-run, we have paramedic courses, EMT courses on campus, so we already know there’s a surplus of students on campus that would be interested in doing this,”  senator Muzamil Ahmad said. 

ASB also supported F19-04, which would add AED locations to fit American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines. Ahmad said that he was surprised by how many AED locations on campus were behind locked and sometimes closed doors.

“Some AEDs are locked behind doors, cabinets, and sometimes multiple doors. You can’t even access them,” Ahmad said. “I don’t understand what the point of having these is if they’re locked behind doors where no one can access them in the time of an emergency.”

AHA guidelines say that no matter where you are on campus, one should be able to retrieve an AED in less than three minutes.

The next ASB meeting is Dec. 6 at 10:30 a.m. in the Student Center Board Room.