UC Davis chancellor placed on administrative leave

UC Davis chancellor Linda Katehi was placed on investigatory administrative leave following allegations that she violated several University of California policies. UCD provost Ralph Hexter will fill in as acting chancellor. (Screengrab from email sent to UCD faculty, students and staff)

The University of California Davis (UCD) chancellor was placed on investigatory administrative leave following allegations that she violated several University of California policies, including questionable compensation of some of her immediate family members, according to a statement from the office of the University of California president.

Linda Katehi has served as UCD’s chancellor since 2009 and UCD provost Ralph Hexter will fill in as acting chancellor.

University of California president Janet Napolitano is looking to appoint an outside investigator and submit a report before the start of the next academic year.

“I am deeply disappointed to take this action,” said Napolitano in the statement. “But Davis is a strong campus, nationally and internationally renowned in many academic disciplines. I’m confident of the campus’s continued ability to thrive and serve California students and the Davis community.”

The statement also said that some of the other reasons for Katehi’s removal included “questions about the campus’s employment, the veracity of the chancellor’s accounts of involvement in contracts related to managing both the campus’s and her personal reputation on social media, and the potential improper use of student fees.”

Hexter said in an email to UCD faculty, students and staff that he takes on the position of acting chancellor with “a heavy heart.”

“I appreciate the kindness and encouragement of our diverse campus community,” Hexter said. “I ask for your continued support as we move our great university forward.”

American River College student Kashia Lynhiavue paints one of her works titled "Linda Katehi" during the Artivism event held by UNITE at American River College on April 27 2016. The event featured local activists, visual artisits and live performers. (Photo by Kyle Elsasser)
UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi, depicted here by American River College student Kashia Lynhiavue’s painting titled “Linda Katehi” during the Artivism event held by UNITE at ARC, was placed on administrative leave. (Photo by Kyle Elsasser)

Maile Hampton, an ARC student who participated in a sit-in protest last month demanding that Katehi be fired, said the university has taken a “step towards justice.”

However, she said that the students need to “keep pushing.”

“Napolitano didn’t make this decision because she wanted to, she made it because the students, workers and community pushed her to,” Hampton said.

She also said that this situation speaks to the “power that the people have when (they) organize.”

ARC president Thomas Greene said the school has no comment on “any of the university’s personnel matter,” but added, “we are very proud of those ARC students who transfer to UC Davis.”

Since 2010, 726 ARC students have transferred to UCD.

Shiavon Chatman and Timothy Lipuma contributed to the report.