Hylton refutes student’s comments, high spending bills passed at Senate meeting

Senate President David Hylton II listnes to board discussion at the American River College Student Senate meeting Thursday. Hylton refuted comments from a student claiming that Hylton didn’t address concerns regarding proposed Sacramento Regional Transit fare increases the student had. (Photo by Robert Hansen)

American River College’s Associated Student Body Student Senate President David Hylton II refuted comments regarding his refusal to help oppose the Regional Transit fare increase at Thursday’s meeting.

Asher Bedingfield, an ARC student, claimed that he had previously seeked help from Hylton to no avail.

“I’ve been to David Hylton, the ASB student president, and he’s refused to help,” Bedingfield said in a previous story by the Current.

“I never spoke with anyone regarding the fare increase,” Hylton said. “I’ve never even heard of this person.”

Senate also passed a resolution opposing the Sacramento Regional Transit (RT) fare increase.

The resolution states that the senate is urging RT not to raise the single-ride fee and that the more fair solution is to keep a monthly pass at a more reasonable price.

The resolution will be presented at RT’s board meeting on Monday.

Bills were passed that support Phi Theta Kappa’s banquet, Rock the Vote, and sends members of ASB to the Spring General Assembly. The money spent on these three bills totaled $24,600.

This money spent was the most by the Senate in a single meeting during this semester.

Phi Theta Kappa received $1,000 for its banquet at the Timber Creek Ballroom on Saturday.

The banquet will showcase the best of ARC with a jazz band, culinary students, and an art gallery.

“This is a great opportunity to give back to the students,” said Clubs and Events President Justin Nicholson.

$15,000 is being spent on Rock the Vote advocacy events for the April 12 and 13 election days.

Most of the money is being spent on food.

$8,600 will be spent for six members of ASB and an adviser to attend the Student Senate for California Community Colleges (SSCCC) Spring General Assembly.

The General Assembly allows California Community College student governments to represent their students in driving the statewide student organization’s agenda and priorities.