J. Cole’s “Might Delete Later” meets expectations

The rapper’s fourth mixtape includes a couple instant hits
J. Cole released his fourth career mixtape, “Might Delete Later,” on April 5. (Photo courtesy of Interscope Records)

On April 5, J. Cole shocked rap fans across the world with his surprise release of “Might Delete Later,” his fourth career mixtape and first music release since 2021. 

Cole doesn’t drop music all that often, but when he does, there are always a couple songs that become instant hits. “Might Delete Later” features a few absolute bangers, some of which come with notable features, along with the rest of the album filled with good, but fairly forgettable songs.

“H.Y.B,” is the best song on the album, with its catchy beat and chorus paired with two unique features by Bas and Central Cee. The feature from British rap sensation, Central Cee provides a different element to the song that makes it memorable. 

Bas also works very well on the song, as he does with all the songs he’s been on with Cole over the years. Bas also appears on “Stealth Mode” later in the album, another song that should be added to rap playlists.

Although a couple of the better songs on the album have notable features, there are a few songs that do very well even without features. 

“Crocodile Tearz” has a more intense beat than other songs on the album, but actually works and could be added to a person’s workout playlist if need be.

The final great song on the album is “Huntin’ Wabbitz,” a song that has seemed to gain some traction on TikTok and Instagram with many creators using it in the background of their video content.

Those four great songs did the majority of the heavy lifting for the album. However, that isn’t to say that the rest of the album wasn’t good. The better word is forgettable.

Whereas other J. Cole albums have playlist additions from top to bottom, this album does feel a bit topheavy. Songs like “Fever,” “3001” and “Trae the Truth in Ibiza” aren’t necessarily bad songs, but they are songs that you will listen to once and have no desire to go back and listen to again.

Besides that one nitpick, this album is another success for one of the most influential and popular rappers on the mainstream scene today.