Former ARC dean dies in car crash

Parrish Geary played a huge part in student success at ARC
Parrish Geary, the former American River College dean of student engagement and completion, died at 46 in a car crash on Dec. 28. (Photo courtesy of Kaitlyn Collignon)

Parrish Geary, the former dean of student engagement and completion at American River College, died at 46 after he was involved in a three-vehicle crash in Winnetka, California on Dec.28. 

In addition to having an impact on his family and ARC, the entirety of the Los Rios Community College District felt the loss of Geary. 

ARC President Lisa Cardoza released a statement on the passing of Geary. 

“Parrish was a beacon of positivity and embodied the term community in every aspect of his life,” Cardoza said in the statement. “He worked to bring people together, meet people where they were, and improve the lives of others.”

She also talked about how he contained a contagious laughter and an overwhelmingly optimistic demeanor, as well as how working with him was a privilege. 

“Parrish was also a careful listener and communicator with an uncanny ability to get people to open up, forming strong bonds with friends and colleagues alike,” Cardoza added. 

Geary served as the student success interim dean at Folsom Lake College and as president of the classified senate at Sacramento City College. Geary also served as a supervisor of counseling at Cosumnes River College. In 2023, he became the new dean of student services at El Camino College in southern California. 

Geary received both a Master of Arts degree in higher education and a Bachelor of Arts degree in natural science. He obtained his degrees from California State University, Sacramento. 

Before El Camino College, Geary spent approximately seven years at ARC. During this time, according to those who worked with him, he was an important part in a lot of students’ success at ARC, helping them grow as students and helping them achieve their goals.  

Courtnee Mack, a student support supervisor at ARC, knew and worked with Geary for two years at the Unite Center on the ARC campus. 

Mack recalled a story about a student walking into the office and asking to speak with someone from the Black Student Success Center for a mentor. However, that day there was nobody available to talk to from BSSC. Geary said to that student that he would mentor them himself. 

At the Unite Center there are a lot of diverse people with different backgrounds and cultures, and Mack experienced how Geary was respectful and not judgmental to his students. 

“What dean (Geary) says, I’ll take the time out of my busy schedule to get to know you, help you achieve your goals, advocate for you, the answer is only Parrish,” Mack said. 

Geary’s mentorship and leadership provided students with a lot of opportunities to grow. Helping them accomplish their goals and grow as a person. Because of all that he has accomplished with ARC students and faculty, the Unite Center staff decided to honor him in their own way. 

“I can definitely say I am devastated that he is gone,” Mack said. “In order to honor him, the Unite Center staff have created the Parrish Geary Memorial Scholarship.”