Senate passes campus safety bill, discusses RT fares at meeting

Student Senate President David Hylton II talks about potential themes for the upcoming Club Day at Thursday’s Senate meeting. Club Day will be on March 17. (Photo by Kyle Elsasser)

A campus safety resolution, the cancellation of March in March and a resolution against the proposed raise of Sacramento Regional Transit (RT) fares were among the topics discussed at the American River College Associated Student Body Student Senate meeting Thursday.

The resolution for safety prioritization passed unanimously, creating a separate committee for safety on campus to be chaired by Los Rios Police Department Chief Cheryl Sears.  

The Senate also passed a consent action bill allocating $250 in funding for Club Day events in March and April.

Club Day’s theme for March will be “Super Heroes vs. Super Villians,” according to Clubs and Events Board President Justin Nicholson, who was knitting as the meeting began.

The story continues below

Clubs and Events Boards president Justin Nicholson knits at the beginning of the Student Senate meeting on Thursday. One of the many things discussed at the meeting was the potential of "Super Heroes vs. Super Villains" as the theme for the March 17 Club Day put on by CAEB. (Photo by Kyle Elsasser)
Clubs and Events Boards President Justin Nicholson knits at the beginning of the Student Senate meeting on Thursday. One of the many things discussed at the meeting was the potential of “Super Heroes vs. Super Villains” as the theme for the March 17 Club Day put on by CAEB. (Photo by Kyle Elsasser)

Senate President David Hylton proposed the creation of an on-campus event to replace the canceled March in March event, citing a need for student input.

“Without their input, we’re legislating for ourselves and not our constituents,” Hylton said. “It would be really great to do some outreach and advocacy for our students.”

The Senate had a first reading of a resolution against the proposed RT fare increase and against the elimination of the Paratransit monthly pass.

The RT fare increase would affect students taking three units or less and Sacramento residents who use public transportation.

The fare increase would bring a 20 percent general increase along with additional increases to disabled and student fares.

The Senate also discussed the blood drive taking place on March 1 and 2, bringing Bloodsource mobile clinics to the school.

“We had a disabled student who wants to donate blood, but because of the buses can’t get up the steps. That’s an issue,” said Senate adviser Juan Blanco. “Bloodsource isn’t required to provide those accommodations.”

There was also discussion of the smoking ban concerning the students against it and the movement among students asking for an ashtray and bench at the bus stop.

“Placing a bench would turn (our campus) from ‘non-smoking’ to ‘designated smoking area’,” said Director of Legislative Affairs Laurie Jones.

Director of Communications Tamara Dunning and Senate Vice President Valencia Scott were both absent from the meeting.