Sex, blood and flu shots

An assortment of contraceptives spell out the word “Health” at the Health Center on the American River College campus. Students are invited to the Health Center on Tuesdays from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. for services provided by the Women’s Health specialists (WHS). (Photo by Cheyenne Drury)

By Cheyenne Drury and Ashlynn Johnson

Sexual health services will be offered to all students beginning next Tuesday from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. in the Health Center located inside the Administration Building.

Services such as STD testing for men and women, pregnancy testing, birth control and emergency contraception will be provided by the Women’s Health Specialists (WHS), an organization that offers women-controlled health care and advocates for all options for women.

Students are asked to schedule an appointment for these services.

Michelle Arnott, a full time registered nurse who works in the Health Center, elaborated on the staff and their availability to students.

I really want students to know that there is a Health Center on the ARC campus with two full time RNs here to help them and I encourage students to stop in, say hi to us and check out what services we offer,” said Arnott.

“If there is a service that a student needs that we can’t provide here, we will do our best to refer them and point the student in the right direction.”

Beyond wanting students to know about the health services that are provided, Arnott elaborated on the importance of taking advantage of them.

“According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), in 2014-2015 the flu vaccine prevented an estimated 7.2 million flu-associated illnesses.  That same year, the flu vaccine prevented an estimated 3.1 million flu-associated doctor visits,” said Arnott.

Getting a flu shot translates to students missing less days of instruction and spending less money and time on hospital visitations.

WHS decided to become involved with ARC after its predecessor Planned Parenthood withdrew their services.

According to Arnott, there was a high demand for sexual health services after Planned Parenthood left.

The director of ARC’s EMT program Dr. Grant Godd encourages the support for sexual health services.

“Some of the services might be sensitive to some people. The reality is we have students that have no healthcare,” said Godd.

Students like Emma Petrova were unaware that the campus offered such services.

“I didn’t know about them,” said Petrova.

As for other upcoming health announcements, the Sutter Visiting Nurse Association will be giving flu shots at the Student Center in community room one on Tuesday Sep. 15 and Monday Sep. 21 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. with a $25 fee, payable by cash or check.

Also, students can help themselves and others by donating at the blood drive on Sept. 29 and 30 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. in the staff parking nearest to the parking structure.

“We very much support any student and faculty who can participate in the blood drive,” said Godd.

The Health Center operates Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

They can be contacted at (916) 484 – 8383 for any questions or to set up an appointment.