Tempers flare over March in March funding in Senate meeting

The ASB Student Senate director of activities stormed out of a board meeting Thursday after losing a vote.

David Hylton, who was instrumental in the creation of a task force to plan American River College’s participation in the March in March, was opposed to increasing the budget for ARC’s participation in the annual protest event from a maximum of $17,000 to a maximum of $22,000.

“That’s bullshit,” said Hylton, Senate director of activities. “I want to be removed from the task force.”

As Hylton was speaking, Tamara Dunning, who is acting as ASB student senate president, continuously pounded her gavel on a sounding block.

Dunning voted for the increase. She said that more funding was necessary for promotional events designed to make students aware of the march.

The Student Senate has been giving food to students and advertising in the student paper to help raise awareness, according to Dunning.

Senator Garett Kegel said that he thinks spending within the parameters of the original budget is a “moral” issue.

“We’re over budget because of the increased interest,” said Dunning. “If we’re going to go over budget, lets do it because people are coming to the events. We’ve never seen this kind of interest in March in March.”

“So it’s our job to keep promoting this interest,” asked Kegel.

Dunning was adamant in her response.

“This is our job. This is advocacy,” she said.

Hylton was opposed to increasing the budget, saying that the increased interest is more related to the free food than to student advocacy.

“You’re saying they’re interested in March in March,” he said. “I have to refute that. They’re interested in the free meal.”

Also at the meeting, new senator Dan Massey was sworn in by Dunning as a member of the board.

Cameron Weaver, Senate director of public relations, said he was excited with the overall tenor of the meeting.

“I was excited,” said Weaver, “I had not seen such an involved debate among members since I’ve been on the Senate. It was nice to see a debate about such an important and sensitive issue.”