ARC art professor provides much-needed uplifting atmosphere for students

Through her own experiences, Linda Gelfman has curated her art and classroom to address systemic issues
Linda Gelfman, an art professor at American River College, poses with one of her sculptures at her recent exhibition. (Photo courtesy of Linda Gelfman)

Students of all ages are faced with many hardships. Constant battles against the plagues of life, one’s inherited mores and social programming.

In the American education system, many students are subjected to curriculum they do not care about, assignments that hold no value to them and teachers who do not understand their lives.

This is where Linda Gelfman differs as an educator. Not only does she embrace the spirit of the art that she creates, but she embodies its very meaning by constructing an environment where students are capable of thriving by being or sculpting their true selves.

Gelfman, a professor of art at American River College, was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. Gelfman attended University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign beginning her studies as a psychology major. Although she had made art recreationally throughout her life, while taking a clay class her first semester of college, she realized that her true passion was art.

Since the sandbox, Gelfman has been inclined to creation. Even though it was not something initially supported by her family, Gelfman knew she had found her calling.

“I didn’t know there was such a thing as an art major,” Gelfman said. “Much to my parents’ dismay I switched my major to art.”

Gelfman said she’s happy that she chose that path and since then, she has been committed to it.

“Making art keeps me healthy,” Gelfman said. “If I didn’t have art, I doubt I would be alive now. It has kept me strong, taught me compassion and given me purpose.”

Gelfman recalls going to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago, where there was a show featuring Magdalena Abakanowicz, a Polish sculptor and fiber artist. This show was memorable to Gelfman, not only because of its 15-20 feet tall installations, but the fact that a woman was displaying her art.

Going to college during the ‘80s, Gelfman was mostly exposed to white male artists in her studies.

“It’s really hard not being able to see yourself when you’re doing [art],” Gelfman said. “It’s like, can a woman be an artist? So, I was like fuck yea, I’m going to be an artist.”

While on the search for graduate schools, Gelfman met a significant other in Chicago who was from Sacramento. She applied to Sacramento State University and was accepted. Not only was the acceptance a benefit, but at the time, ceramic clay was a big thing in Northern California.

“Sacramento has been really good to me,” Gelfman said. “I moved back to Chicago after grad-school, and I was so cold. And I missed my friends that I made here.”

Gelfman said that she knew she always wanted to teach. This desire led her to ARC where she has been an educator for over 20 years.

“I love it. I love the students,” Gelfman said. “I love turning students on to clay, I’m a clay pusher.”

After many years of working with clay, Gelfman took an interest in fiber and began experimenting with it, eventually creating more lucrative designs using chicken wire and upcycling clothing to create pieces.

“I always crocheted, and I would crochet crazy hats for my friends,” Gelfman said. “Then they didn’t want any more hats, so I started crocheting sculptures.”

Gelfman said that being a Gemini, she has two sides to her. The decision to work with fiber produced a balance that she needed.

“When I first started working in fiber, I felt like I was cheating on clay, so I had to be quiet about it,” Gelfman said. “Now I have a good relationship with both. They’re not jealous of each other.”

With the swing of the pendulum, Gelfman recently displayed her fiber pieces in an exhibition titled “Topple the Patriarchy- the Reemergence of the Great Cosmic Mother.” There were many substantial ideas that went into the show.

“I think it has to be a topple. I think toppling the patriarchy from the bottom up needs to happen because it’s so broken,” Gelfman said. “The way history is written, it’s all male dominated, but pre-history would be her-story. It’s not about one being stronger than the other, it’s about learning to work together and treat each other as freaking human beings, compassionately.”

Through the years, Gelfman has familiarized herself with equity, a concept she finds key as an educator.

“It’s important for our students to see themselves, instead of [the] European white male kind of bullshit,” Gelfman said. “Patriarchal bullshit.”

After having only two women professors in her college career, Gelfman knew it was imperative to become a teacher. She wanted to provide women a step up.

“[I wanted] to give a young woman a voice, a place to say something,” Gelfman said. “I remember I kept my hand in front of my mouth, I was always afraid to talk. Everybody should be able to speak with no fear.”

Patricia Wood, art professor and chair of the art department at ARC, has known Gelfman through many years of being colleagues as professors and artists. Wood said being able to see someone’s art metamorphize is a fascinating thing.

“It’s always interesting to know any artist over time and to watch the evolution,” Wood said.

Wood said there are many students who take her class that have also taken Gelfman’s class. These students express how much they enjoy having Gelfman as a professor.

“I think Linda is very inspirational to her students,” Wood said. “There’s enough openness for them to experiment while also learning the techniques.”

Gelfman’s time at ARC, however, might soon be coming to a close. After a long career, Gelfman said that working in clay has taken a physical toll on her. But the thought of leaving teaching is a daunting one.

“I’m terrified of retiring because so much of my self-worth is teaching,” Gelfman said. “I love getting to know the students and I try to make this a safe place for them. I want everybody to flourish, learn and heal. I love doing that.”

With retirement comes the prospect of free time. This free time would grant Gelfman moments to relish in the pleasures of creating art and traveling. It would also grant the opportunity to market herself and her art.

“We all want to be famous. You just want the recognition,” Gelfman said. “But if I don’t get it, I don’t care because I love making my art and it’s my happy place.”