ARC presents Study Abroad college hour

Professor Bill Wrightson and past students talk about their experiences in Florence, Italy during a College Hour on Nov. 17, 2016. Wrightson was explaining the study abroad program for next year when they go back to Italy. (Photo by Mack Ervin III)

ARC and UNITE hosted “Study Abroad” located in Raef Hall on Thursday.

The program opened up with William Wrightson, the head director of Study Abroad.

Study Abroad was introduced to Los Rios in 1991, when Sac City had the first opportunity to experience the program.  

The program offers two sessions, also full and half semesters.

Wrightson encouraged students to do the full semester if possible.

“It’s quite an experience that shouldn’t be turned down,” Wrightson said.

Scholarships are offered as well to enhance this program for students who aren’t sure if they will be able to afford this experience.

Back in 2015, former ARC student Josh Scovil won the Benjamin Gillsman scholarship that paid for his entire trip.

Scovil is hosting an information session on scholarships on Nov. 30th in the community rooms one and two.

Scovil encourages anyone who’s interested in studying abroad to come into his workshop.

For more information too about scholarships be sure to log on to www.youcanstudeyabroad.webs.com to find what scholarship you can be qualified for.

The first trip that is offered this semester is studying in Florence.

The program is offered from May 20th, 2017 through June 25th, 2017.

Students will fly out of San Francisco airport and land in Florence Italy the day after, due to different time zones.

The benefit of this program is that the school, where students will do most of their learning is about a 3 minute walk from housing.

The housing consists of your own apartment, kitchen, bedroom, and living area.

Professor Bill Wrightson talks about the study abroad program for next year in Florence, Italy during a College hour on Nov. 17, 2016 at ARC. Wrightson and his past students talked about their experiences while studying abroad. (Photo by Mack Ervin III)

“There’s a market area/grocery store down the block if you ever want to save a little money and have a home cooked meal,” said Wrightson.

Several different state colleges across the country take advantage of the program.

“San Diego State, UC Irvine, and Florida State are all in attendance and also they paid an extra $1,000 more than you. The benefit of traveling with the Los Rios system is you will be saving money,” said Dmitriy Sergeyev, former study abroad student.

The first day in Florence, everyone is welcomed with a complimentary dinner.

During the presentation Professor Wrightson showed images of the beautiful scenery located in Florence and other monuments of Italy.

What’s interesting about this opportunity, the Duomo Complex in Rome is now added for the program.

Over the past years the Duomo Complex has became such an antique, that tourists weren’t allowed to visit.

The Duomo Complex was shut down for 3 years, and with the help of Rome being added into the program students now get a chance to be able to witness “The House Of God.”

“Cost can be pricey but considering we get Rome, and most of Florence, it’s worth it,” former study abroad student, Ian Sumner said.

The deadline to apply is February, 23rd, 2017, everything will cost $3,995.

It’s very important you sign up on time and make sure you start planning for this experience.

You can contact Steve James, director of the study abroad program at [email protected].