Opinion: Stressed students aren’t alone

Photo illustration by Lidiya Grib

Are you feeling stressed? Do you feel overwhelmed with everything you have to do? You’re not the only one.

College can be one of the most stressful times in a person’s life. Students have social lives, jobs and school to juggle. Trying to make enough time for all of these can prove a challenge.

Students can easily bite off more than they can chew by taking too many classes while balancing their responsibilities. Everyday things like having a job, a family, and finding the time to take care of themselves with proper diet and exercise can add up.

Because of the balancing act of being a student and now, for many, having adult responsibilities, many students are starting to feel overwhelmed by it all.

Meghan Reed of USA Today College reported that in a National College Health Assessment, taken in Spring 2015, 30% of students reported that stress had negatively affected their academic performance. 85% of those students felt overwhelmed by their college life.

“The major problem for stress is time,” said ARC student Elis Claud. He also mentioned that homework can be really stressful, especially if you’re thinking about other responsibilities when the teacher is explaining it. He said to always email professors if you are unsure of the homework – they want you to succeed.

Art history major Stephani Lorenzo found that homework and working can feel overwhelming. She said that it can be really stressful when you get home from work and know you have to do homework, but you feel too tired to do it.

Stress can have many negative impacts on your life. According to the Mayo Clinic, some of the symptoms of stress include anxiety, restlessness, headaches, anger, sadness, under or overeating, fatigue and social withdrawal.

Everyone gets stressed out every now and then, it’s normal. It only becomes a problem when it stays and you feel these symptoms for prolonged periods of time.

So how do you deal with these symptoms?

The good news is: there are many ways to deal with these symptoms and keep stress at bay.

According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), ways to deal with stress and anxiety include: exercise, getting enough sleep, not skipping meals, welcoming humor and realizing the causes of your stress.

If you are stressed, always remember you are not alone. It can really help to just talk with others about the issues that you face. You may find and connect with new people who feel the same way you do.

If you find that you have no one to talk to you can also visit the ARC counseling center. They have a personal counseling center that will help you overcome your issues. You can contact them at (916) 484-8572.

Something to always remember is that everyday is different, and nothing lasts forever, not even stress.