Students should consider summer school classes

Knock off requirements and get a lighter schedule
A+supplemental+form+must+be+completed+before+signing+up+for+summer+courses.+%28Photo+Illustration+by+Elisha+Chandra%29+
elisha Chandra
A supplemental form must be completed before signing up for summer courses. (Photo Illustration by Elisha Chandra)

Summer is coming up and students are anxiously awaiting the seasonal break. They are coming off a long school year from which they need a break. Breaks are necessary, but at the same time you should keep your brain charged and active to learning. 

According to the Brookings Institution, a nonprofit nonpartisan research site and a variety of other sources, students lose most of what they learned during the school year when they are on summer break. American River College students should consider taking summer courses because of this.

Another reason why students should take summer courses is because it can be beneficial toward their degree and help them knock off some requirements that are still needed. 

Whether it is an English or math class that you are required to take, or you want to take a class that you are interested in, summer can be a good time to keep your learning going.

This can also give you a lighter schedule for next school year. Instead of having to fit in a hectic schedule with four to five classes, students can be flexible with their time and schedule by only needing to take maybe two to three classes. 

Summer school can also be beneficial to students who are currently working while in college. Having a flexible schedule can make it much easier for students who need the necessary time to work as well as go to school. 

Again, students tend to lose most of what they learned during the school year while they are on summer break. It is important to keep the brain active and stay open to learning so they can be prepared for the following semester. 

Summer school may sound very dreadful at first thought, but if you really think about it, your educational life can become a lot easier. 

The summer semester for 2024 starts on June 10 and ends on Aug. 8. 

Summer sessions and deadlines are seen here. Students may view the schedule for classes through eServices.