ARC offers second chance for students to experience prom

The second chance prom provides a space for students to be themselves
Liz Geisser, student support assistant for the Pride Center, shows off a prom dress on April 5, 2024 that was accumulated through the Pride Center’s clothing drive. (Photo by Shy Bell)

For some students, prom is a blissful and magical experience—a key occurrence in their coming of age. For other students, who did not fit into the societal norm, prom often represented rejection, contempt and possibly danger.

This semester, American River College is providing students another chance to enjoy prom without the negative connotations that surround the event.

ARC’s Pride Center will host its first ever Second Chance Pride Prom on April 12 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Liz Geisser, student support assistant for the Pride Center, was a driving factor in bringing this occasion to life.

“The impetus of it is that a lot of queer people don’t get to have prom,” Geisser said. “Whether it’s because they don’t get to bring the date they want to bring, because they’re not allowed to dress the way that’s appropriate for who they actually are or because they’re not out.”

According to Geisser, the Second Chance Prom is an opportunity for people to be themselves.

“It’s a safe place where people can celebrate and experience some joy,” Geisser said. “We need more joy in the world.”

Geisser said that she has experienced the many difficulties the queer community faces firsthand.

“I was one of the first queer couples to go to prom when I was in high school,” Geisser said. “The photographers refused to take pictures of me and my date. Eventually they did, but it turned into a big loud fight and put a damper on what was supposed to be a fun event.”

Although some may take it for granted, prom typically is a special occasion for students.

“My wife never got to go to prom,” Geisser said. “I just don’t want our students to have the feeling of ‘I never got to do this thing.’ It’s kind of a rite of passage for students.”

Xander Pinnegar, sexuality and gender alliance club president, said this will be a new experience for some.

“So many of our students are getting to pick suits and dresses for the very first time because they never had that opportunity,” Pinnegar said. “It’s servicing a variety of needs from affirming gender, as well as giving the chance to have prom.”

Besides a few bumps, Geisser said the process of putting this event together has been remarkably smooth.

“In speaking to [a staff member] about security, they asked, if there are security concerns then why are we having this event on this campus?” Giesser said. “I’m confident that the Los Rios Police Department and the additional security we hired for the night are going to make sure things are safe and calm. I’m also not afraid to do something just because somebody might protest it. We have the right to exist too.”

Events like the Second Chance Prom allow people to gain a sense of comfortability where they might not have had it before, according to Pinnegar.

“Yes, it is a risk,” Pinnegar said. “But every time we are visibly out and existing in the community, it makes it easier for activism and LGBTQ+ rights to continue going forward.”

The Second Chance Prom is open to all Los Rios students and their guests. Students are free to enter with a Los Rios ID card or number and guests are $10 at the door.