The Current puts up another strong showing at JACC conference

The staff won an award for general excellence, along with other honorable mentions
At this year’s Journalism Association of Community Colleges NorCal Regional Conference, The Current earned an Online General Excellence award for the second straight year. (Photo by Joseph Bianchini)

American River College’s Current staff attended the annual Journalism Association of Community Colleges NorCal Regional Conference at San Francisco State University on Oct. 14, where similar to last year, the staff returned home with multiple awards.

The headliner for the bunch was taking home the Online General Excellence award, an honor The Current has taken home in back-to-back years.

Additionally, Jacqueline Ruvalcaba, a Current staff member from the previous spring term, took fourth place in the Critical Review category.

The Current also participated in a handful of On-the-Spot contests, with Editor-in-Chief Heather Amberson earning an honorable mention in both the News Writing and Copy Editing On-the-Spot contests. 

JACC is a non-profit organization that helps journalism students with training and education within community colleges across California. They conduct regional conferences every fall, along with a state-wide conference every spring.