Trump lays out key points during his speech in Sacramento

Presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump points to members of the audience during his rally in Sacramento, California on June 1, 2016. (Photo by Kyle Elsasser)

By Jordan Schauberger and Robert Hansen

With the blazing sun in the eyes of the crowd, presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump stepped off his plane Wednesday to give a speech to a crowd in Sacramento on his plans to “make America great again.”

Trump didn’t venture far, landing his plane right in front of the podium and flying away immediately following his speech.

He hit many of his routine talking points throughout the speech, including building a wall between the United States and Mexico, turning away illegal immigrants and refugees, and keeping gun laws as they are.

Supporters of Donald Trump hold up an American flag during the recital of the pledge of allegiance at a campaign event in Sacramento, California on June 1, 2016. Trump's first visit to the California capital drew nearly 5,000 supporters. (Photo by Mack Ervin III)
Supporters of Donald Trump hold up an American flag during the recital of the pledge of allegiance at a campaign event in Sacramento, California on June 1, 2016. Trump’s first visit to the California capital drew nearly 5,000 supporters. (Photo by Mack Ervin III)

Trump talked primarily about his proposal to build a border wall, eliciting the loudest response from the crowd, including chants of “build a wall”.

“We’re gonna build a wall, and you know who’s gonna pay for it?” Trump asked as the crowd shouted back, “Mexico.”

Staying on the subject of the wall, Trump pushed his stance on illegal immigration, and reiterated that he does not believe in allowing refugees into the U.S.

According to Trump, illegal immigrants are taking jobs from American citizens, and contributing to a heroin epidemic affecting the American youth.

On refugees, Trump said that he has a “big heart,” but he doesn’t want them in the U.S., and “safe zones” should be set up in Syria. He also stated that he doesn’t want to take financial responsibility for those, so he will “make the Gulf countries pay for it.”

Trump reassured the crowd that he will protect Second Amendment rights.

“Last week I got the endorsement of the NRA, and it’s before the convention. Which never happens,” Trump said. “Oh we’re going to keep our guns, don’t worry about it.”

Donald Trump supporters lined up at the front of the crowd waiting for Trump to arrive and give his speech. (Photo by Jordan Schauberger)
Donald Trump supporters lined up at the front of the crowd waiting for Trump to arrive and give his speech.
(Photo by Jordan Schauberger)

Trump then moved to his opinions on Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton.

“I mean she lies,” Trump said. “She’s making another (speech) tomorrow and they sent me a copy. … They said I want Japan to get nuclear weapons.”

“Hillary is not a talented person, in fact, she has no natural talent. You just have to listen to her speak,” Trump said, before imitating the way Clinton speaks.

Trump said that Hillary Clinton thinks “our veterans are fine” which drew booing from the crowd.

“It’s horrible what’s happening to our veterans,” Trump said. “Immigrants are treated in many cases better than veterans.”

Trump then touched on Bill Clinton’s “mistakes” as president.

“Since Bill Clinton signed an agreement to put China into the World Trade Organization,

Sacramento has lost nearly one in five manufacturing jobs,” he said.

Trump also included a caution to President Obama in his speech.

“This is a president who doesn’t have a clue,” Trump said. “Because he’s going to start campaigning … well if he campaigns that means I’m allowed to hit him, just like I hit Bill Clinton, I guess.”

Story continues below

Trump spoke about how during the general election he’s going to make a “real run” in California.

“Now everybody said that for a republican to run in California isn’t going to happen but I’m sort of different, you know.” he said.

In a quick summary of what voters would get if they elected him president, Trump said, “we are going to win with our military and we’re going to wipe out ISIS, we are going to have a wall to keep the drugs out … we’re gonna bring our jobs back, we’re gonna bring wealth back.”

Trump claimed that there were 11,000 people in attendance, however officials reported that the hangar could only accommodate 2,500.

As Trump stepped down from the podium, he said, “We’re going to make our country great again … America first.”