ASB Notebook: ASB plans Club Day, Color Dash, and March in March

The Associated Student Body Clubs and Events Board and Student Senate are planning for Club Day and the March in March.

The CAEB is putting on a Greek themed “Epic Love” club day set for Feb. 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Club Day will include games, prizes, and even a kissing booth with free condoms to raise awareness on prevention of sexually transmitted diseases.

Prizes in the amount of 30 dollars will be given to best toga and also the club with the most members dressed in togas.

CAEB is putting on a 5k run called the Color Dash on Feb. 28 at 11a.m. to benefit child victims of domestic violence.

Student Senate is preparing for the upcoming March in March on March 2, in spite of the fact that the event’s traditional protest march down J street may not be occurring this year.

“SSCCC (Student Senate for California Community Colleges) has not scheduled a march,” said Tamara Dunning, who is acting as ASB student senate president. “There seems to be some back and forth on this. That’s the information I have at this time.”

The traditional speeches on the capitol steps will still occur.

“It’s absolutely disappointing. I personally have a very huge issue with it,” said Director of Public Relations Cameron Weaver.

Student Senate created a taskforce to help with the planning of ARC’s participation in the march.

The task force will have “the authority to decide what objects need to be given away, where we are going to meet, I’m not sure of everything that would need to be done,” according to David Hylton, the ASB student senate director of activities.

Katheryn White, who was ASB student senate director of communications, resigned from the board due to a class scheduling conflict.

Richard Dean and Samuel Kinsey were appointed to the board as new senators. Kinsey has had experience on the student government at Arizona State University.

Kinsey says he moved back to Sacramento from Arizona due to “family issues,” and wants to continue serving in student government at the community college level.

Richard Dean became interested in student government after his friend Tim Lipuma, a former ASB student senator, recommended he join the board.

“I hope to represent STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) majors on campus,” he said.

Jorge Riley, who was elected ASB student senate president over Dunning by a margin of 62 votes, but whose election was invalidated for reasons the administration and ASB have not disclosed, said that the student senate “should be recalled.”

“They spent $16,000 on folders promoting themselves. They want to go to March in March and do nothing. For $18,000, I can get celebrities, a movie star to come,” he added.

Miranda Bolar, Linsdey Martin and Alex Panasenko contributed to this report.

View Comments (3)