Battle of the Burgers

Carl’s Jr.’s Steakhouse Six-Dollar Burger comes out the winner in a face off with Jack in the Box’s Outlaw Burger. (Photo by Bryce Fraser)

We accept that most students at American River College are more likely to eat at McDonalds than Morton’s. Carl’s Jr. and Jack in the Box have beefed up their menus with two new additions: Carl’s Jr. with its Steakhouse Six Dollar Burger, and Jack in the Box with its Outlaw Burger.

I got a chance to try both sandwiches, and while both were delicious in their own right, only one could be crowned king.

Carl’s Jr.: Steakhouse Six Dollar Burger

Claimed to taste like the god of hamburgers made it, the Steakhouse Six Dollar Burger comes with lofty expectations. The Steakhouse burger includes a 100 percent Black Angus beef patty, lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise, crispy onion strings, Swiss cheese, A1 Steak Sauce and crumbled blue cheese on a seeded bun.

This burger is definitely worth your while. Its 100 percent Black Angus patty is seasoned to perfection. At first I was skeptical about the blue cheese; I was afraid it would overpower the flavor of the burger, but mixed with the zesty A1 sauce it was surprisingly delightful. I’m not a huge fan of onions, but the crispy onion strings didn’t deter me at all.

This was a delectable burger. It’s new and inventive. Though a bit pricey, your taste buds will praise you for it.

Nutritional Info
Calories – 1060 (from fat – 590)
Fat – 67g (saturated fat – 23g)
Sodium – 2360mg
Carbs – 69g (sugar – 19g)
Protein – 48g

Jack in the Box: Outlaw Burger
The Outlaw Burger is one of your average Jack in the Box sandwiches. Lettuce, tomatoes, onion rings, American cheese, bourbon barbecue sauce and hickory-smoked bacon accompany its jumbo beef patty on a sesame seed bun.

The burger is modestly pleasing. The onion rings turned out to be just a greasy distraction, while the jumbo beef patty merely grazed expectation.

The always-flavorful taste of bacon matched with the sweet bourbon barbecue sauce is what makes this burger.

The fact that Jack in the Box offers a Spicy Outlaw Chicken Sandwich (which is essentially the chicken version of the sandwich) is a plus. And priced at a little over three dollars, it’s definitely easy on the wallet.

Nutritional Info
Calories – 725 (from fat – 356)
Fat – 39g (saturated fat – 16g)
Sodium – 1558mg
Carbs – 61g (sugar – 13g)
Protein – 28g

The Carl’s Jr. Steakhouse Six Dollar Burger is my rookie of the year. If this burger were truly made by the god of hamburgers, then other fast food restaurants need to bow down, because this work of art disguised in all its savory goodness reigns supreme.