Listen bud, he’s got radioactive blood

The “Spider-Man” theme song, the classic intro for “Batman” and even the soundtrack to the recounting of how Dr. Banner was exposed to radiation in “The Incredible Hulk” are all popular classic television theme songs accompanying stories adapted from comic books. Comic book fans are about to experience a flood of television adaptations thanks to Disney and Netflix.

Last week Marvel TV announced four comic heroes will each be receiving a live-action 13-episode season on Netflix culminating in a miniseries combining them all. The lineup includes: attorney Matt Murdock and his alter ego, Daredevil; investigative journalist Jessica Jones; Daniel Rand, also known as Iron Fist; and Luke Cage, who sometimes goes by Power Man. After each of the seasons are produced and released on Netflix, these protagonists will then join forces in a series called “The Defenders.”

ABC’s new show “Agents of Shield” is only the beginning. Between these series and the notable movie footprint Disney is leaving, Marvel Comics is going to be a strong presence in the entertainment world for a long time. It is a good thing, too. Warner Brothers and DC Comics have been ahead of them for a while.

A blog post from io9 and several friends of mine all brought up the same statement: Warner Brothers and DC Comics had better catch up. (As if Marvel was beating them in both number of films released and television shows in progress.) Of course, my response is 10 seasons of “Smallville,” a couple of seasons of “Human Target” (canceled too soon), the ongoing Green Arrow series “Arrow,” the new flash series “Flash” (currently being pushed through post production), as well as “Gotham,” a series exploring Commissioner Gordon’s role in the caped crusaders escapades, all from WB and DC.

Marvel is just catching up to what Warner Brothers and DC have been doing these last few decades. Just because it’s making seven “X-Men” movies doesn’t put it miles ahead of nine Batman and eight Superman films.

These newly announced television shows are great news for everyone, but those who are sitting thinking “Who in the world is Luke Cage?” probably didn’t know who Tony Stark was before 2008. I also don’t think Thor and Loki had hundreds of images dedicated to them before 2010. What I mean to say is that these characters with whom you are unfamiliar might blow you away in the same way that Iron Man did.

The deal has been made, casting and production will follow and hopefully we see these projects “in the chill of night, at the scene of a crime” in early 2015.