UNITE creates vision board workshop

ARCurrent.COM
American River College students work on vision boards at the vision board workshop in the Student Center at American River College on Feb 12.

American River College’s UNITE (Universal Engaging Inclusive Transformative Education) program held a vision board workshop in the Student Center Hub on Feb 12.

This workshop encouraged students to get aligned with their personal and academic goals.

UNITE is a program ran by students and faculty providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for anyone on campus interested in engaging in dialogue about social justice, equity and diversity, according to the ARC website.

Grace Swint, a community intern for UNITE, performs a poem of her own at the vision board workshop and open mic in the Student Center at American River College Feb 12.

During the workshop, UNITE had three different tables set up with magazines, poster boards, glue and scissors for students to join and make a vision board. The workshop was combined with Tell It Tuesdays, an open mic event for students, also ran by UNITE. Students were able to watch others perform while designing their boards, or perform themselves.

Grace Swint, community intern for UNITE, hosted the vision board workshop and talked about how she believes vision boards can help students.

“Vision boards are a very powerful tool for people to get aligned with their personal and academic goal,” Swint said. “You get to visually see what it is you are working towards and it’s really nice to do things outside of the traditional school setting.”

Events presented by UNITE vary from collective spaces for everyone on campus and social justice education, to equity and educational pathways for students.

Swint explained why events like these are important to put on for students on campus.

“I think of how I overcame personal challenges and use my experiences to influence others. Anything that has helped me in my pursuit of education, I want to use that to create events in helping my peers,” Swint said.

This won’t be the last event UNITE and Swint will host. Swint will host a poetry workshop that is curated by UNITE March 21, 2019 located in the Student Center Hub.