Career Fair offers students ways to network within businesses

American River College hosts a carrer day for students. Employers came from all over Northern California in hopes of recurting students now and for the future on Oct. 1. (Photo by Emily Thompson)

More than 200 students crowded into the Student Center for this semester’s career fair on Thursday at American River College.

Students spoke to different business representatives and employers about the opportunities in their particular profession.

“Today has been really helpful for me when talking to employers, I came to get ideas on student internships I can get and even work my way into a job with the state,” said ARC student Andrea Ferrer

40 employers, ranging from all over Northern California, attended the event to share with students what they look for in an applicant and what they should expect if they ever want a job in their field.

Some of these employers included, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Bay Area Regional Transit (BART) police department and Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD).

FBI employee Steve Dupree shared with students on how become an FBI agent is not as simple as it is with any regular job.

“As an applicant, you must have a bachelor’s degree and 3+ years in a profession within. You also must be 23-36 years old and be able to pass a rigorous physical fitness test. Start planning now,” said Dupree.

Other professions, such as SMUD, offer applicants a wide variety of positions, within their company, that do not require such specific requirements.

“Go in knowing what you want to do. We are always hiring because we have a lot of spots to fill. Positions vary, some require a degree, some no degree at all,” SMUD employee John Na said.

Many employees at the fair, such as BART police department officer Richard Nagata, expressed how their professions could lead to lasting futures.

“We require the same training as a police department around town would but we cater mostly to the BART area and we are expanding,” said Nagata. “Once people start working for us not many leave because of the opportunities and benefits we have.”

Foxy Brown, who ran a booth for the work experience and internship program on campus, handed out information to students on what ARC offers for those who are starting out in a career.

“We help students in all areas of beginning a career,” said Brown. “Everything from a resume building workshops to Internships.”

ARC student Safiullah Wahabzada felt excited about his first time at a career fair and how it turned out.

“It was a lot of fun looking at all of the different tables and employers. I really gained a lot of information and even some contact numbers,” said Wahabzada.