Welcome Day brings many opportunities to ARC students

Welcome Day signs were featured in the hallways around the ARC campus. The event consisted of Club Day and Transfer Day and was hosted on Sept. 24. (Photo by: Ashley Nanfria)

American River College held welcome day on Thursday, which included club day and transfer day, in hopes of getting students more involved in the school and informed about transferring.    

Clubs are gathered around the student center encouraging students to join. Game-themed Club Day was hosted at ARC on Sept. 24, 2015. (Photo By Ashley Nanfria)
Clubs gather around the student center encouraging students to join them. A game-themed Club Day was hosted at ARC on Sept. 24, 2015. (Photo By Ashley Nanfria)

“Let the games begin” was the theme for this year’s club day.

“This is my first time going to college and coming to a club day. It’ really exciting. I’m going to join a club to interact with more students and get involved,” ARC student Misha Lute said.

Each club had a booth set up with information and a game that went with their club.

Students had a chance to participate in a scavenger hunt that they would go around to 15 vendors and get a sticker after completing their game.

When the scavenger hunt was finished, the students would go draw a number and get a corresponding prize that was anywhere from a water bottle to a bag to hair ties.

Fashion Club, was one of the clubs featured at Club Day. The game-themed event was hosted on Sept. 24 at ARC. (Photo By Ashley Nanfria)
Fashion Club was one of the clubs featured at Club Day. The game-themed event was hosted on Sept. 24, 2015 at ARC. (Photo By Ashley Nanfria)

The fashion club had people drawn in by making a dress made out of playing cards.

Treasurer of the fashion club, Jalon Castellano encouraged everyone to join the club for great networking opportunities. They have guest speakers and alumni that come, give advice and share their accomplishments in the fashion industry.

Fashion club meets every Monday at 3:30 p.m. in the arts and science room 105.

Marcus Birdman, left, a post-grad student and member of the Medieval Fighting Club, spars with Alex Bowie, also a member, during ARC’s first club day of the semester on Sept. 24, 2015. (Photo by Kameron Schmid)
Marcus Birdman, left, a post-grad student and member of the Medieval Fight Club, spars with Alex Bowie, also a member, during ARC’s first club day of the semester on Sept. 24, 2015. (Photo by Kameron Schmid)

Medieval battle club is a place where students can get exercise, stress relief and have fun all at the same time.  Swords and shields are made with foam to keep members safe.

They meet every Tuesday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the lawn in front of the library.

For transfer day, colleges from all over the U.S. came to educate ARC students about transferring.

Colleges line up in ARC hallway for students to get information. Students talk to these colleges about information to transfer to their schools at Welcome Day. on Sept. 24 (photo by Ashley Nanfria)
Colleges line up in the Liberal Arts breezeway for students to get information. Students talked to these colleges about information to transfer to four-year schools at Welcome Day on Sept. 24, 2015 (Photo by Ashley Nanfria)

University of the Pacific is looking for students and more veterans to accept. Students thinking about applying must have a minimum of a 2.8 GPA.

Columbia University of General Studies in New york are looking for many diverse students. They look for students who are nontraditional and have unique life experiences, they accept many students who have had a gap year for any reason.

Columbia does not have a GPA requirement, but their average acceptance GPA is 3.8.

“We encourage everyone to apply no matter what their GPA is. We have declined students who had a 4.0 and have accepted many students who had one lower than a 3.8,” Columbia Admission Manager Diana Kim said.

Fresno Pacific College is a small school that is very easy to get into. Students only need 24 transferable units and a minimum of a 2.4 GPA.

“We are very diverse here, we have a lot of the first generation graduates and we are very concerned with our student success. We have one on one counseling appointments and an average class size of 23,” said Fresno Pacific College Admissions Counselor Alyssa Pinedo.