Recent national cases begs question: why is abuse still overlooked?

In our society, domestic violence has become a big problem, but continues being largely ignored. Abuse is never okay, and should not be tolerated by anyone, male or female.

NFL running back Ray Rice, along with his then-fiance, now-wife, Janay Palmer, was arrested on assault charges in February after the two had a physical altercation in an Atlantic City casino elevator.

The NFL initially suspended Rice for two regular season games on July 25. The league was heavily criticized in the public eye for casting what many thought was a light punishment, and even more so after a second video that showed the assault was released Sept. 8.

On the day the second video was released, an indefinite suspension was issued by the league, with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell saying he “didn’t get it right,” regarding the initial punishment.

Rice was subsequently released by his team, the Baltimore Ravens.

Palmer and Rice married a month after the incident.

Men are never really seen as victims in domestic disputes, but they suffer these situations just like women.

Every year, more than 830,000 men are victims of domestic violence in the United States, according to webmd.com.

In June, U.S. women’s soccer goalkeeper Hope Solo was arrested for abusing her sister and 17-year-old nephew. Her trial is scheduled to start in early November, and she could face up to six months in jail if found guilty.

Neither the National Women’s Soccer League team Solo plays for, the Seattle Reign FC, or the U.S. Women’s National Team has punished Solo for these actions.

This pattern of tentative action or utter absence of action has to stop, but no one seems to take the problem seriously regardless of the victim’s gender.

We as a society can do more to prevent domestic violence by understanding the signs of someone who could potentially be violent or has controlling behaviors. There should more outreach programs for both men and women.

In the past, American River College has had WEAVE (Women escaping a violent environment) come to psychology and sociology classes to speak about ways to prevent and aid domestic violence.

In relation to October being domestic violence awareness month, American River College is holding two separate presentations later this month.

On Friday, Oct. 17 and Saturday, Oct. 18, a Rape Aggression Defense Class (R.A.D.) will be at ARC from 5 – 9 p.m. Oct. 17 and 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Oct. 18. The presentations will be in the Student Center community rooms two, three, and four.

ARC will also be hosting a WEAVE presentation,  which offers support for women who have been victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse. The conference will be held Oct. 22, 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. in Raef Hall, room 161.