First impressions of new student center

New construction makes ARC easy on the eyes

It’s difficult for me to even begin to describe how little I’ve cared about the new student center the last couple of years. When construction first began in January of 2011, I was fairly new to the campus. I was still figuring out where my classes were and how to deal with the disaster we called a parking lot. By the time construction was in full swing and the building was beginning to take shape, I didn’t care how many Starbucks’ there were going to be, or how cool it’d look. All I knew was there was a terribly long detour to the bookstore.

The asbestos plagued building we once dubbed a cafeteria has since been replaced by a shiny, modern building with a high ceiling and enough windows to make you feel as though you’re actually sitting outside. It never feels crowded no matter how many people I’ve seen in there. There are additional computers in rooms scattered throughout the building as well, so no more pacing the library for 20 minutes waiting for people to leave.

Those aspects are just bonuses, though. What makes this new student center so great is the food. First of all, there’s a machine that makes milkshakes. That’s great right? Of course it is. Because they’re actually quite good. Pair that with a slice of pepperoni pizza topped with oregano, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese and you’ve got a delicious, artery clogging meal from the heavens.

There are also healthier options now, which include a salad bar and stir fry station, though my favorites are the chicken and Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. The Subway has improved as well, and has two lines so you’re in and out with your food and on your way. Not that you have to leave, as there always seems to be at least a few empty tables.

The new student center was worth the wait. It’s worth all of the previous hikes around temporary fences in the rain to the bookstore, and it definitely makes up for the time spent standing and waiting in lines in the portables. It’s like that feeling when you first switched from dial-up to DSL; now that the student center is up and running, I can’t imagine going back.