Parking requirements are changing for the fall 2023 semester

If the daily machines aren’t working, paying for parking isn’t required
The Los Rios Community College District is back to charging for parking since the pandemic. If the daily parking machines aren’t working students won’t be required to pay for parking. (Photo by Joseph Bianchini)

When the fall 2023 semester started at American River College in late August, students faced the enforcement of paid parking for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to the ARC website, a parking permit for the semester costs $41, carpools with three or more people are $36, motorcycles are $26 and daily passes are $2. 

“Semester parking permits can be purchased at the Business Services Office in the Welcome and Support Center,” said Kaitlyn Collignon, ARC’s public information officer in an email to the Current. “Students who receive the California College Promise Grant are eligible to buy a semester parking permit for $30.”

Collignon added that students aren’t required to pay for parking if the daily machine being used isn’t working. 

“If the machines are not working, we will allow students to park in designated student parking spaces without a permit and not be ticketed, as the machines are the only way to purchase a daily permit,” Collignon said. “Once the issue is resolved, we will resume enforced parking.”

ARC staff and faculty were given a grace period through August 28. 

“There will be a grace period for the first week of classes for vehicles displaying expired staff permits,” Chris Day, captain of the Los Rios Police Department, said in an email to faculty. “[After]\August 28 … with no valid staff permit displayed may be cited.”

During the COVID-19 pandemic, paying for parking wasn’t required. 

“Los Rios was able to temporarily waive parking fees during the pandemic using federal relief funding,” Collignon said. “Because those funds are no longer available, parking fees have been reinstated.”

If a fine is received, contact the LRPD. Further information can be found here.