Current walks away with 13 state awards

The American River Current brought home 13 publication and on-the-spot competition awards, including general excellence, from the Journalism Association of Community Colleges State Convention from March 28 to 30, 2019. (Photo by Jennah Booth)

The American River Current staff enjoyed a successful weekend, bringing home 13 awards from the 2019 Journalism Association of Community Colleges (JACC) State Convention at the DoubleTree Hotel in Sacramento.

Journalism programs from community colleges all over the state gathered at the convention to attend workshops and compete in several on-the-spot competitions.

On-the-spot competitions at the convention included a multitude of journalism related assignments, such as news and feature story writing, copy editing and photography.

The Current placed in three awards for submissions from previous semesters, including General Excellence.  

Former Co-Editor-in-Chief Luis Gael Jimenez received first place for news story publication, and former staff writer Christian Sutton took fourth place for an opinion story.

The Current staff also received six honorable mentions for feature stories, editorial, inside page layout, feature photo and sports feature photo.

The Current also received four awards for on-the-spot competitions.

Editor-in-Chief Jennah Booth walked away with a first place award for editorial cartoon, and Social Media Editor Alexis Warren took first place in the social media contest.

Managing and Copy Editor Hannah Yates took fourth place for copy editing and Photo and Multimedia Editor Ashley Hayes-Stone took fourth for creative portrait.