ASB Student Senate endorses bus pass measure in first meeting

Sam Kinsey, left, and Garrett Kegel resigned their positions Wednesday as ASB Student Senate vice president and president respectively, according to ASB adviser Juan Miguel Blanco. (Photo by Matthew Wilke)

The Associated Student Body (ASB) Student Senate’s first meeting of the fall semester saw the appointment of two new board members and a vote in favor of the measure renewing the universal transit pass for Los Rios students.

David Hilton and Laure Jones were appointed to the board as senators while current Sen. McKaela Broitman was appointed the position of Legislative Analyst.

Hilton and Jones both bring experience to a largely novice board.

“I’ve drafted plenty of legislation already,” Hilton said. “(I am) Looking forward to working on more bills and resolutions.”

“I’ve been a senator for a couple of years now,” Jones said. “We’ll be working hard to make this year better than last (year).”

Both senators and Legislative Analyst were elected unanimously.

The Senate voted unanimously to endorse the universal transit pass (UTP) Measure A. The measure will increase the fee students pay for UTP to $2.10 per unit, capping at 15 units.

“We have to do what benefits the most students,” said Clubs and Events Board (CAEB) President Justin Nicholson.

There was confusion among the board on the wording and funding of bills to be voted on during the meeting, leading one of three of the bills, a bill to fund the maintenance of school bike lockers, to be tabled until the next meeting.

The board approved to allocate $300 to print business cards for the Senate members.

“Business cards are the best form of advocacy that we can have,” said Tamara Dunning, who acted as ASB president last year.

ASB President Garrett Kegel felt that meetings and board operations will improve going forward.

“I was a little shaky to start the first meeting of the year,” said Kegel. “We can always improve, always do better.  It’s a learning experience every step of the way.”

Vice President Samuel Kinsey both expressed optimism and excitement for the upcoming year.

“Promising, the new year is promising,” Kinsey said. “I’m excited for the new endeavour, the new team, and for students to see how we operate and how we get things done here.”

Kegel wants the board to be focused on action.

“I think we can get as much done as possible,” Kegel said. “I hope we can do good, great things for the students this year.”