Viar set to remain president of ARC

The Santa Barbara Community College District’s board of trustees concluded its nationwide search for a new president on April 26 with the appointment of Dr. Lori Gaskin as superintendent-president, according to a press release from SBCC’s Public Information Officer Joan Galvin.

In addition to Viar, Gaskin, currently the president of West Valley College in Saratoga, Calif., West Hills College President Dr. Willard Clark Lewallen and Long Beach Community College District Superintendent-President Eloy Ortiz Oakley had all made the short list for the position.

“I appreciate the understanding and support of ARC faculty and staff as I pursued the Santa Barbara City College presidency,” Viar said in a statement to The Current. “The governing board selected an outstanding person it believes best meets the college’s needs and I respect that decision.

Viar, who has been president of ARC since 2005, said that participating in the process reminded him how great the faculty, staff and students are here on campus.

According to press materials, Gaskin will continue working as president of West Valley College through the end of June. On July 1, she will take over the position currently being held by SBCC’s acting superintendent-president Dr. Jack Friedlander.

Gaskin will vacate her current position at West Valley after serving as its president since August 2009. She has served in a number of academic leadership positions at Lake Tahoe Community College including vice president of academic affairs and students services and dean of instruction.

“I feel honored to be named superintendent-president of Santa Barbara City College,” Gaskin said.

[email protected]