“Loki” season two brings optimism for Marvel’s future

The title goes down as potentially the best television series in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Season two of “Loki” leaves viewers with their jaws dropped after every episode. (Photo courtesy of Marvel Studios)

In a time where it seems that Marvel has wasted a lot of good titles with subpar content filled with bad CGI and weird plot holes, season two of “Loki” is able to provide MCU fans with optimism for what is to come with the Multiverse Saga.

As of recently, many of Marvel’s projects haven’t sat well with fans, including the series “Secret Invasion” and “The Marvels,” a movie that failed miserably in the box office compared to what Marvel is used to.

With Kate Herron, the director of season one, departing from the show, it was looking bleak for season two of “Loki” based on the recent flops coming from Marvel. However, the show blew people’s minds and tops what season one accomplished in 2021.

Season two picks up right where season one left off, with the multiverse being in shambles and Loki being forced to try and save it in any way he can. 

The God of Mischief, who played more of a villainous role throughout previous MCU titles, embarks on his redemption arc, before dying in “Avengers: Infinity War.” When the Avengers go back in time in “Avengers: Endgame” and allow for a variant of Loki from 2012 to escape, he picks up on this redemption arc leading into this show.

Loki is forced to try and salvage the Time Variant’s Authority from being destroyed, while battling with the moral struggle that is dealing with how the TVA takes away the free will from billions of people across the multiverse.Tom Hiddleston brings a different element to the role he has been playing since 2011, and has a very interesting dynamic with his love interest, Sylvie, played by Sophia Di Martino. Their opposing philosophies on how to deal with the TVA continues on in season two.

Mobius, played by Owen Wilson, is the same witty and easy going TVA analyst, but also gets a new depth to his character, making him even more likable than he already was with fans.

The cast from season one of “Loki” was already great, but adding Ke Huy Quan to the fold made the cast even better. The former child actor from “The Goonies” and “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom,” who recently resurrected his career, plays an important, but fun role to the plot of the show as the character OB. 

Add in Jonathan Majors as different variants of the next big bad villain of the MCU, Kang the Conqueror, and it makes for an excellent show that has a steady balance of action and acting.

The use of Loki and others going back and forth between different points of time makes for a sophisticated plot that is still easy to understand for the average viewer. This new saga for the MCU that is so centered around time travel and different universes has confused many fans, but “Loki” did a great job avoiding the confusion.

However, the best part about the show is how it leaves your jaw dropped at the conclusion of every single episode. The shock factor is there throughout the show, making for a viewing experience that should be followed by watching YouTube videos and going to Twitter to try and comprehend the madness that you just watched.

The phenomenal acting, solid action and the state it leaves the MCU in, places “Loki” as one of the premier Marvel projects in phase four or five.