ARC’s music department kicks things off for the fall semester

Multiple performances add variety for a range of audiences
+American+River+College%E2%80%99s+musical+productions+include+music+from+contemporary+and+classical+pieces.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Serge+Kuzmin%29+%0A
American River College’s musical productions include music from contemporary and classical pieces. (Photo courtesy of Serge Kuzmin)

As the weather and leaves begin to change, the heavens open and Bragi, the god of poetry, with his harp, shines light upon the American River College community.

ARC’s music department will present two upcoming productions for the fall semester: “Music from the Nordic Nations” and “Fall Concert.”

“Music from the Nordic Nations” opened Oct. 26 and is led by Robert Halvorson, an adjunct professor of music at ARC. It features mostly choral and vocal literature that represents the countries of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Finland and Denmark.

“Our program includes traditional choral music as well as compositions by more contemporary popular artists,” Halvorson said in an email to the Current.

The performance will consist of 16 singers and one accompanist on piano.

“To open the show, the daughter of one of our choristers will perform a solo piano piece by the Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg,” Halvorson said. “As a mid-concert treat, our accompanist will also play a solo piano piece by a Nordic composer, but the piece has yet to be determined.”

This is Halvorson’s first semester at ARC. He says so far, his experience has been wonderful.

“I can say that both the faculty and the student body are incredibly kind, warm and supportive,” Halvorson said. “Everyone I have encountered has been so humble and generous and there is almost no sense of ego, which can often be hard to find in the art world. I’m loving ARC.”

“Fall Concert” opened Oct. 27 and will be directed by veteran Steven Thompson, an ARC music professor. The production boasts one of the few full symphonic orchestras in the California Community Colleges. It includes a combination of students, mentors and community members who love to play and share music with audiences.

“We’ve had members as young as 14 in the orchestra and retired folks who enjoy sharing their knowledge and helping others,” Thompson said. “It’s a beautiful and warm intergenerational experience, and we welcome any musicians from the ARC community (and beyond) to join us.”

The first program features Dyne Eifertsen, ARC music professor, who will perform the Grondahl Trombone concerto, Tchaikovsky’s “Romeo and Juliet” Fantasy Overture and Schubert’s ‘Unfinished’ Symphony.

The second program will be a guest group from Natomas Charter School Symphonic Orchestra performing Beethoven’s Pastoral Symphony.

Thompson says he is proud to be a member of the ARC faculty.

“My colleagues are always designing new experiences for our students,” Thompson said. “It’s a supportive, innovative environment and it’s fun to work here.”

“Fall Concert” will also have performances on Oct. 28 and Nov. 29. “Music from Nordic Nations” will have another performance on Dec. 5.

All shows begin at 7:30 p.m.