New Pokémon generation seeks to innovate gameplay and rekindle old fans.

Retrospective look at gameplay from generation 1 to generation 6

The world of Pokémon began with the release of “Pokémon Red” and “Pokémon Green” in Japan for the Gameboy in 1996. It was released in North America a little over two years later. Now, the sixth generation (first for the Nintendo 3DS handheld) is slated for a worldwide release on Oct. 12.

With the release on a new handheld, there are features and additions that have never been seen in the generations of Pokémon prior. The most noticeable feature is that the game uses a third person view instead of an aerial view. The most distinct feature is the concept of mega evolutions. While some Pokémon are holding a special stone they are able to evolve into a more powerful form. This will give them stronger attacks and special abilities. The most notable mega evolutions come from the first generation in the form of the three evolved starters: Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise.

Pokémon battles have been updated for this new generation. For instance, “Pokémon X” and “Pokémon Y” will use the 3DS’s stereoscopic 3D ability to take Pokémon battles to a whole new dimension. A new Pokémon attribute has been introduced and is known as the “Fairy-type.” While there are new Pokémon that are deemed Fairy-types, like the Eevee evolution Sylveon, Pokémon from old generations have adopted the new type such as Gardevoir, Jigglypuff, or Marill (previously Psychic-, Normal-, and Water-types.) Fairy-types are “super effective” against Dragon-type Pokémon, and are weak against Poison- and Steel-type Pokémon.

A new, quick way to train and level up your Pokémon is to win horde battles. These battles will pit your lone Pokémon against four to five wild Pokémon and introduces a fun and easy way to level them up. It is a suitable alternative to spending hours grinding to level up just one Pokémon.

Commercial music major Ryan Levario is most excited for the mega evolutions. “I enjoy the fact that they are reconnecting old Pokémon [games] with the new ones,” Levario said. To him it provided a “fresh new look” at this generation.

While most fans are very excited about the release, ARC student Sean Savage thinks it’ll just be another installment in the Pokémon franchise. He thinks that because it’s on a new platform, people are giving it, “…more hype than usual.” He is still looking forward to the game and expressed his curiosity about the mega evolutions. However, Savage’s main concern was that this new generation should introduce a longer playtime than previous generations have had before.

“Pokémon X” and “Pokémon Y” will be released worldwide on Oct. 12 for the Nintendo 3DS for $40. Those without a 3DS can purchase the limited edition Pokémon 3DS XLs for $199 on Sept. 27.