American Idol’s Kris Allen packs a punch at Sacramento City College

Showing off his brace from hand surgery, Kris Allen taps on a tambourine during his hour and a half set on Feb. 13, 2013 at Sacramento City College.

Making Sacramento his first of three Northern California stops, American Idol Season 8 winner, Kris Allen, serenaded a small crowd of what appeared to be just shy of 100 people at Sacramento City College’s Performing Arts Center on Feb. 13, 2013.

If you’ve never been to Sac City’s Performing Arts Center, then you are missing out on a small venue perfect for an intimate concert setting. His set had fans sitting back in their seats, swayed with the music, clapped along with the band, and even sang a few verses themselves, which is not typically the way your average pop concert goes.

Standing center stage for most of the show, Allen opened up with the title of his tour, “Out Alive,” from his second album since winning Idol, “Thank You Camellia.”

The mood seemed to resemble one of a jazz band rather then a pop star. At one point, a female fan yelled “fantastic” after a song, prompting Allen to call the crowd a “fantastically nice but chill, rowdy audience,” or “choudy,”  as Allen’s guitarist, Cale Mills, threw together.

Having suffered a hand injury on New Years Day, Allen required surgery, which did not allow him to play the guitar. To the delight of the diverse crowd and per request of a local radio station, Allen strapped on a guitar and played Justin Bieber’s song “As Long As You Love Me.” He then laughed, stating that it had been the first time in a month and a half that he’d picked up a guitar and played.

Other songs performed during the night came from his most recent album, with one or two from his self titled album from 2009. He performed a mash-up of George Michael’s “Faith” with Fun.’s “We Are Young” and “Some Nights,” ending the show with his most popular song “Live Like We’re Dying.”

All in all, I wouldn’t mind seeing Kris Allen in concert again and I would give this one a 10 out 10.