ARC Baseball suffers shutout loss, 9-0

American River College 2B Matt Clarke steps up to the plate during a game against Shasta College on Feb. 1 at ARC. ARC lost 9-0. (Photo by Gabe Carlos)

American River College suffered a brutal 9-0 loss to Shasta College on Feb 1.,  with the Beavers only managing two hits in 29 at-bats.

It was a long-day on the diamond that evening as ARC was unstable throughout the game.

The Beavers gave up two runs in the top of the second and then six more in the top of the third. Starting Pitcher Justin Borchard only pitched 2.1 innings allowing five runs on three hits, four earned and no strikeouts. The Beavers used six different relief pitchers after Borchard was benched.

Meanwhile, Shasta had a field day.

American River College outfielder BJ Baker swings at a ball during a baseball game against Shasta College on Feb 1. at ARC. ARC lost 9-0. (Photo by Gabe Carlos)

The Knights racked up 12 hits on 37 at bats having a .324 team batting average. The team got eight RBI’s and only one error in the game.

Starting pitcher Kolby Button had a great performance on the mound giving up only one hit, no runs and four strikeouts.

Shasta also got to save some of their arms and used only two relievers.

Starting second baseman for ARC Matt Clarke went 0-4 in the game, as did most of his teammates.

“Hopefully I can string in a couple hits tomorrow, help the team, get on base, score some runs, we obviously didn’t do that today, so let’s do it tomorrow,” Clarke said.

Head Coach Doug Jumelet said that they have  to pull-through and that they are a better team than their results show. Jumelet also said there was plenty of mistakes in the game.

“We didn’t hit well, we didn’t pitch well, defensively we made a couple mistakes that allowed them to get more at bats and everything was just snowballing,” Jumelet said.

It has not been a great start to the season for the Beavers after picking up their fourth-straight loss on Feb 1.

Not a single starting pitcher has pitched more than five innings this season yet. The team did get its first win on Feb. 2 against Feather River College, then lost the following day, coming to a shaky 1-5 start to the season.