Relevant skills workshop helps improve students resumes

Michael Robinson from the American River College Career and Pathways Support Services Center hosts a resume and career oriented workshop for students on Nov. 29, 2018. (Photo by Ashley Hayes-Stone)

American River College’s Career and Pathways Support Services office hosted a resume building workshop on Nov. 29 for students seeking to strengthen their current resumes.

Michael Robinson, a student personnel assistant, led the short but informal presentation that teaches students the importance of adding relevant skills to their resume in order to increase their chances of getting the job.

CAPSS hosts regular workshops throughout each semester; each is open to all students looking to improve their resumes and gain professional work experience.

“We get a lot of students who come in seeking help and critiques on their resumes and usually they are adding soft skills to their resumes but never hard skills and that’s what we are trying to change,” Robinson said.

This workshop’s main focus was teaching students what skills are more relevant than others.

Robinson says that knowing the difference between hard and soft skills can make or break a student’s chances of getting the job.

“Hard skills are specific and can usually be measured like, writing or the ability to use a certain software,” Robinson said. “Soft skills are skills that are personality traits that anyone can use.”

During the workshop, students were also encouraged to do their research on social media prior to an interview to make themselves look knowledgeable and prepared.

“Research what current employees are saying about their job and the interview process and it might give you a leg up during the interview process,” Robinson said.

Students can check ARC’s online event calendar located on the main website to find more upcoming CAPSS workshops.

CAPSS will host more career related workshops throughout the spring semester of 2019.