ARC holds HBCU Transfer Fair

Counselors Nimo Ali and Judy Mays represent the Umoja Sakhu Club during the Historically Black College and Universities Transfer Fair in the Student Center at American River College on Nov. 2, 2018. (Photo by Breawna Maynard)

American River College held a Historically Black College and Universities transfer fair with a few partnered schools in the Student Center on Nov. 2. The transfer fair prioritized students who applied and gave students a higher rate in getting into the specific schools that visited.

Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) have an excellent academic track period, according to the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office website that informs college students on their educational purposes and preparation for transferring. More than 28 percent of African-Americans who receive a bachelor’s degree obtain it from an HBCU. These colleges and universities are also leading institutions in awarding degrees to African-American students in the life sciences, physical sciences, mathematics and engineering fields.

According to Linda Condon, an HBCU transfer recruiter, the recruiters were helping students that have 30 transferable credits and at least a 2.5 grade point average with HBCU admissions.

HBCU transfer fairs happen approximately two times a year, once during the spring and once during the fall semesters. Some of the colleges that attended the fair were Tuskegee University, Wiley College, Bowie State University and Fisk University.

During the event, each HBCU recruiter was available for conversations with students who are looking to transfer to a four-year institute and provided information about what their school has to offer such as majors, internships, student activities and tuition cost.

Camille Johnson, a recruiter from Central State University, spoke about how going to an HBCU has made a difference in her life.

“I think the beauty of attending an HBCU is to go to school and grind with people that look like you,” Johnson said. “You feel like you’re not on this journey alone and it’s a great opportunity for self discovery.”

Jerrica Russaw, admissions counselor recruiter and marketing specialist at Tuskegee University, spoke about the college and her experience at an HBCU.

“We are the number one HBCU in the state of Alabama and number four in our nation,” Russaw said. “Rosa Parks was born (in) our campus (city), Lionel Richie was born in Tuskegee, Alabama, Tom Joyner is an alumni here, so our reach is beyond.”

Russaw said being at an HBCU really taught her about her culture.

“Not only did I get a good education,” Russaw said. “But there (are) not a lot of places you can go where they can teach you about who you are, where you came from and just (your) history in general.”