Newly renamed Career Center to host grand reopening

A flyer detailing the activities being offered during the Career and Pathways Support Services’ grand reopening Thursday hangs in a hallway at American River College on Sept. 11. (Photo by Christian Sutton)

American River College reopened the Career and Pathways Support Services center this past summer for college students seeking employment. The office is located in the Student Services building and will have a grand reopening on Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Breanne Holland, a student services supervisor for the CAPSS department, says that the department changed its name this summer from the Career Center to the Career and Pathways Support Services office, known as the CAPSS office.

“Our goal is to help people get their ‘caps,’ no matter what cap it is they want,” Holland said. “Whether it is a graduation cap, police captain’s cap, nursing cap, or firefighter’s cap.”

Laura Adams, a student personnel assistant for the CAPSS center, says the SPAs are there to service students, alumni and community members. They offer services such as career explorations, career assessments, resume critiques and mock interviews.

“We host career-related workshops monthly including ‘Resume 101’ and ‘Interviewing,’ in addition to new career-related subjects throughout the school year,” Adams said.

Adams says that they have a career expo on Oct. 3 and 4. The two-day expo will have 80 employers in attendance and the proceeds from the expo go towards scholarships for students.

The center has been creating newer types of workshops than those offered by the Career Center in the past.

“We have guest speaker series where we have speakers coming in to the campus to explore how to get a state job,” Adams said.

The CAPSS department will offer appointments in the evenings throughout the semester and in winter, according to Adams. Other departments on campus with job openings go to the CAPSS department to attract employees.

“We have career counselors that are available to make appointments to offer specific guidance for majors and careers,” Adams said.

The new CAPSS is on social media including Instagram and Facebook. Current events, updates and job postings from employers are shared there.