ARC Patrons Club prepares for largest fundraiser of the year

Sondra Fuson, left, and Ellen Read wrap items to be sold at the “grab bag” sale being put on by the American River College Patrons Club on Nov. 4 at 9 a.m. in the Student Center. (Photo by John Ferrannini)

Members of the American River College Patrons Club spent Tuesday morning wrapping “nice, lightly used household items” for a sale in the Student Center on Nov. 4.

The sale, which will be held in the Student Center from 9 a.m. to noon, will include soap, jigsaw puzzles, calendars, Christmas decorations, pens and notepads.

There will also be a prize drawing for a $50 gift card to the Beaver Bookstore.

Many of the items are wrapped and will be sold for a price of $2. More pricey selections, such as books, will not be wrapped.

“We have books as well, which have been very popular over the last couple of years,” said Karol Worthington, a member of the Patrons Club who was wrapping the products Tuesday.

“It was amazing to see them really enjoy all the books.”

Added Ellen Read, the president of the Patrons Club: “The husband of one of our members was an avid book reader and he just passed away. She used to bring in all of his books.”

According to Read, the “grab bag” sale is the largest Patrons Club fundraiser of the year.

“People love it, they shake them and they feel,” said Read.

Read said that a bake sale next to the “grab bag” sale ended in 2013 because the college didn’t want outside vendors selling food on campus.

“We used to go longer – until one o’clock – and we’d sell out early,” said Worthington. “We wear out also.”

While some of its members are not ARC alums, many have had a background in education.

“Most of us of us have worked in education. I was a classified employee (of the Grant Joint High School District) for 38 years,” said Patrons member Sondra Fuson, who did attend ARC.

“When I retired, the librarian at Foothill Junior High School belonged to the Patrons, and she brought me in.”

The club funds two $500 scholarships for students to use to attend ARC. They also choose the faculty member who wins the annual Patrons Chair Award.

The award winner wins $1,500. Nominations are closed in early December and the winner is announced at the Spring 2015 Convocation.

The Patrons also give $250 donations to some of the departments on campus, particularly the music department.

“(The music department) usually entertains us (at Patrons Club meetings) five times a year,” said Fuson. “We appreciate that. They did some selections from ‘The Music Man’ for us.”

Read said that the club is always looking for new members, because fewer people have been joining as the years go on.