Los Rios district inducted into Chamber of Commerce Hall of Fame

The Los Rios Community College District was inducted into the Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce’s Business Hall of Fame on Jan. 30, coinciding with the 50th anniversary of the district’s incorporation.

“I think most of the people are ecstatic and pleasantly surprised to get such an honor at this time in the life of the district,” said Mitchel Benson, the vice chancellor for communications and media relations for the LRCCD.

The Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce represents “nearly 2,000 member businesses and business organizations” around Northern California, according to their website.

“The Los Rios Community College District has made significant contributions to the economic, civic growth and well-being of our community for nearly 50 years,” said Christi Black-Davis, 2015 Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce board chair. “Practically every business, public agency and industry in the Sacramento region employs a Los Rios Graduate.”

Erica Taylor, a member of the Los Rios Foundation board, won Young Professional of the Year at the same awards banquet.

According to Benson, the Los Rios Foundation raises money for student scholarships and a “student emergency fund” for students who “experience a sudden challenge or problem.”

Taylor got involved in the Los Rios Foundation after her experiences in community college.

“I went to Shasta College. Community college has played a big part in my life,” said Taylor. “I’m a big fan of the community college system. It did wonders for me. I jumped at the opportunity to help community college students because of my experience with it.”

“The Los Rios district is an unknown or unsung hero in our community. It is a true gem to have,” she added.

Benson emphasized that the timing of the induction coincides with the 50th anniversary of the district’s incorporation as a legal entity.

“As we plan various commemorations and celebratory events, this is a great way to start 2015,” said Benson. “We are working on a couple of ideas (to celebrate the 50th anniversary) but are not ready to announce yet. We want to turn this into a way to raise money for scholarships and for the student emergency fund.”