Navy SEALs it for ‘Act of Valor’

“Act of Valor” gives a moviegoer a firsthand look into what it is like to be a deadly warrior. Just like riding along with a policeman while he makes arrests and pulls people over, this film takes a viewer on an exhilarating and dangerous ride with some of the most lethal and well-trained military personnel in the world.

Directed by Mike McCoy and Scott Waugh, “Act of Valor” is a film featuring actual Navy SEALs sent to rescue a CIA agent with knowledge of a potential terrorist threat. It is the latest in a long line of Hollywood films featuring the military.

The relationship between the film industry and the U.S. military has been long lasting because both sides have agreed on a trade-off that is mutually beneficial. Hollywood gets access to unique and cutting edge technology, real soldiers to train their actors, and gets to shoot their films in real military locations. In exchange for added realism, the military gets to use popular movies to shape public perception of the military and also aid in recruiting.

Although the film industry has consistently worked with the military throughout the years, the relationship has at times been rocky. According to University of California, Davis professor, Eric Smoodin, the film industry has generally been “eager and willing to help out with government and military-based films, but have always been cautious.” He cited the John Wayne film “The Green Berets” as one example of a military-based film that caused some controversy within the film industry because to many it seemed like blatant propaganda. Smoodin wanted to emphasize that while there has been a relationship between the two, the amount of military involvement varies greatly on a film-by-film basis, and that the film industry is not in lock step with the government.

However, the two sides of the trade-off were extremely prevalent in “Act of Valor.” The technology within the film was excellent. There are scenes with extremely advanced weaponry including speedboats with multiple high-powered automatic weapons and small submarines within huge submarines. Although the technology and weapons that are used within the film add to the realistic feeling of the movie, the Navy SEALs that play the lead roles do the most to make this film almost seem like a documentary.

The other side of this trade-off was easy to see within “Act of Valor” as well. Now, this is not to say that people who are Navy SEALs are not heroes, but it is clear that every character in this movie that is associated with the military is presented in a positive light. The SEALs are so heroic and valiant that it is not difficult to see how this movie could aid in recruiting and promote a healthy image of the U.S. military.

“Act of Valor” was an entertaining and action-packed thrill ride. Fellow viewer, Jeff Alvarado, 23, summed it up accordingly, “The acting wasn’t very good, but the action and battle scenes kept me entertained.” As long as one has the proper expectations, they will have no problem paying the $10 to go on an intense mission with the Navy SEALs.