Trending fashions on campus

Nursing major Stephanie Sanchez, 19, wears a pair of Bearpaw boots and a Docker’s scarf on Nov. 23, 2011. (Photo by Shanel Royal)

Goodbye fall and hello winter, it is time to trade in the light clothes and add some more layers. But don’t fret; style can still be obtained without feeling or looking bulky. Here is the top five trending clothing for women and men based on what is seen on campus.

Women’s

1.    Cardigans: these are comfortable and an item to wear at any time of the year. Cardigans for the winter can be knit of wool, or simple cotton. Snag one in green and red to celebrate the holidays.  Old Navy has a variety of oversized cardigans starting at $30.
2.    Jeans: One can never go wrong with jeans. Boot cut, flair, straight leg and skinny jeans are some of the popular types. Jeans can be worn with any outfit. For the winter season keep it simple with dark blue and preferably ones that can be worn with heels or boots such as straight leg.
3.    Boots: Boots have been on the top of women’s “must haves” for a long time. Though, the styles are ever changing. This year fur will keep your feet warm especially with styles from UGG Australia. Though pricey- some over $200- these are quite popular.
4.    Scarves: Scarves are worn more as accessories and have gotten away from only keeping your neck warm.  Add a bright colored scarf to bring a pop of color to your outfit. Plum is the new season color and goes well with brown and denim.
5.    Winter coats: Not feeling the cardigan? Go for a winter coat. Plaid is in right now according to Cosmopolitan’s November issue. Burlington Coat Factory, Nordstrom’s and Macy’s offer coats that button up and keep you warm. Like the scarf, wear a bright color like red to stand out from the crowd.

Men’s

1.    Beanie’s: It doesn’t take a hipster to know that a beanie looks good on anyone. It’s a classic look that never goes out of style. Not to mention they keep your head warm. Pick one up a classic one at stores like Wal-mart or Sports Authority. For a more stylish look, check out beanies offered at department stores.
2.    Shawl Collar Cardigan: Nothing says, “Cold weather won’t stop me from being the best dressed man in the room” like a shawl collar cardigan.  Fleece, wool, or cotton, this item is the perfect fit for a casual outing this fall. 3. Fair Isle Knit Sweaters: Who said isle knit sweaters is for old folks? This item has definitely made its way back into pop culture. Paired with slacks or your favorite pair of jeans, you’ll be a hit at all the holiday parties.  4. Varsity Jacket: Varsity jackets go with just about everything. They’re sporty, fashionable, and will keep you warm and comfortable as the weather turns. 5. Boots: Sneakers, flip flops, and Toms are a nice look for the summer, but when it gets cold, it’s time to lace up the boots. Surprisingly, some of your favorite sneakers are even made in boot style. For instance Nike has a pair in black that would go well with jeans.

So there you have it, solutions to keeping warm while looking stylish at the same time.  Some may be out of the average student’s price range, but there are always stores who sell styles that are similar.  For instance Ross, Marshalls, and Payless. While you’re buying gifts for Christmas don’t forget to buy winter outfit.