Weave honors indigenous survivors of domestic violence

WEAVE Confidential Advocate Emily Zavala-Aguilar discusses the violence of Indigenous people with ARC human services major Cherell Howze. (Photo by Marquala Brown)

WEAVE Confidential Advocate’s first Indigenous People’s event took place Oct. 16 in the American River College Library quad. ARC students and staff were greeted with a warm smile as they walked by or came up to the purple table filled with colorful flyers, markers and pens that depicted indigenous people. The event was to bring awareness and honor survivors of violence in the indigenous population.

Emily Zavala-Aguilar, the WEAVE confidential advocate on campus, provides services to students and staff who have or are experiencing domestic violence, stalking, sex trafficking, sexual assault and harassment. 

The Indeginous People’s event brings awareness and allows for indigenous people to share their experiences of violence, Zavala-Aguilar said.

“We honor them by learning about their experiences and creating a touchstone in their honor,” she said. 

During the event, many students stopped by the table to look and discuss the event’s main subject involving violence against indigenous people. The event table was filled with fliers and pictures that provided information to ARC students and staff about indigenous people and the violence they suffer. 

“It is up to all of us to stand up to the abuse by talking to our friends, family, classmates, about intimate partner violence and how we treat indigenous people,” Zavala-Aguilar said.

Human services major Cherell Howze stopped by the event and talked with Zavala-Aguilar about the experience of indigenous people and picked up some flyers. 

“It’s good that we have these type[s] of events,” Howze said. 

ARC students and staff can get more information about WEAVE by visiting their office located in the Health Center. Their office is open on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.