Departments compete in spooky Halloween contest

A jack-o-lantern sits on the Enrollment Services desk in the Administration building. (Photo by Gabe Carlos)

American River College departments are continuing a 20 year tradition this Halloween by decorating their offices and competing against each other for the holiday.

Kristen Farlow is the Administrative Assistant to Vice President of Student Services at ARC. She is the main communicator for the Halloween decoration department contest this year and she sees it as something fun for the spooky holiday.

“The contest is all good in fun … It is a way to bring staff together and enjoy their time at ARC,” she wrote in an email to the Current.

The participants for this year are the Veterans Resource Center, Counseling, Disability Services & Programs for Students (DSPS), Admissions and Records and the College Store, along with the HUB and the Center for Leadership and Development Center who are doing a combined theme.

The Assessment Center took home the trophy last year but opted not to participate in the competition this year. Farlow said staff will also be allowed to bring children to campus and walk them through the participating departments to trick-or-treat.

According to Farlow, judges will walk around to see the departments and will announce a winner late afternoon on Oct. 31.