American River College’s Davies Hall set to close on Sept. 8

Classes normally held in Davies Hall will be moved online until new spaces are found
Davies Hall will close on Sept. 8, and classes normally held there will be moved online until new spaces are found, according to a statement sent to students, staff and faculty. Faculty and staff packing up offices in Davies Hall on Sept. 7. (Photo by Shy Bell)

American River College’s Davies Hall is set to close by 8 a.m. on Sept. 8, according to a statement sent to students, faculty and staff. 

“We have been informed by the state’s school and college building regulator, the Division of State Architects, that in the case of a seismic event, Davies Hall may be vulnerable to catastrophic damage and become a safety risk,” the statement said. 

According to the statement, the issues were confirmed by a contracted structural engineer. 

Classes held in Davies Hall will temporarily move online for two weeks until new class spaces are found, according to the statement. 

Students should check Canvas and school emails for information from professors on future class meetings. 

According to the ARC website, students taking classes in Davies Hall will be granted excused withdrawals if they can no longer take a class. 

“If staying enrolled during the temporary online period is simply not an option, a special exemption will be provided to allow students taking classes in Davies to receive an excused withdrawal for their class(es) without penalty,” according to the posted information.